1986 Dodge Lancer "Power Loss"

Old 04-02-03, 09:44 PM
houstons
Visiting Guest
1986 Dodge Lancer "Power Loss"

I have a 1986 Dodge Lancer 2.5L non-turbo. The car sat for about a year without much driving. I put a new battery, changed the plugs and wire, fuel filter, air filter. The "Power Loss" light kept coming on, sometimes I would start the car and drive awhile before it would come on while other times it would instantly come on. When the light is on the car drives like it is running out of gas it cuts out a lot. When the weather started getting colder the problem went away. The light probably came on two or three times this winter and now that it has gotten warmer the light never goes off. If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks Houston

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-03, 10:13 PM
i would start by checking codes by cycling your key on and off 3 times leaving the key on the final time and count the flashes of the power loss light, the end of the fault codes should be code 55 which is five flashes short pause five flashes, then post back with what codes you retrieve and we should be of more help. you can also check auto library for more information about the codes you retrieve.
http://www.cybrrpartspro.com/Manual%...delLookup.html

Old 04-03-03, 03:25 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree.

Old 04-03-03, 11:07 AM
houstons
Visiting Guest
got codes

Thanks for the quick replies, the code it came up with was 24. I'm not sure what to do with that now. Thanks for all your help.

Old 04-03-03, 12:39 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
What does autolibrary.org or the links in my signature file have to say about that?

Old 04-03-03, 05:42 PM
houstons
Visiting Guest
Thanks Joe, I looked up the information. The 24 meant there was a fault in the throttle position sensor. I disconnected the negative battery cable and reset the computer or whatever runs the test. I ran the test again and got back 11 which means the car hadn't been started since the battery was disconnected. I also got 12 which meant the key hadn't been turned 50 times since the battery was disconnected. I bought a new throttle position sensor but it didn't solve the problem. What should my next step be? Does this sound like anything that would have to do with the cooler weather fixing the problem for a while?

Old 04-04-03, 05:36 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Have you checked the alternator output?

Old 04-04-03, 07:21 AM
houstons
Visiting Guest
I haven't checked that yet. I'll check it and let you know what I find out. Thanks Houston