Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Ball Joint

Visiting Guest

04-03-03, 11:21 AM   #1  
BrianP1
Ball Joint

The mechanic said the left ball joint on my 99 Explorer is loose. Exactly what does that mean and what are the safety issues with it. He wants $250 to replace it.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

04-03-03, 12:38 PM   #2  
Joe_F
It means danger.

The unit could break, causing the wheel to **** and lead to cause loss of control, resulting in death, injury or vehicle damage.

It should be fixed without delay. Do both sides for best results.

Visiting Guest

04-03-03, 12:46 PM   #3  
BrianP1
Thanks, will definitely replace it. Is the cost quoted reasonable for this work? I assume it's mostly labor.

Visiting Guest

04-03-03, 01:59 PM   #4  
darrell McCoy
Joe told you right for sure, When they snap you are in a W.O.S. big time. 250 does not sound to ridiculous. Cheap when it comes to yours or anyone elses safety. Most dealers get 60-70 an hour. Parts dont hurt near as bad as the labor. P.S. I have seen them snap on cars with only a few thousand miles.

Visiting Guest

04-04-03, 05:30 AM   #5  
Joe_F
I agree.

Visiting Guest

04-18-03, 06:53 AM   #6  
taxxman2k
Are you refering to upper or lower ball joint? The uppers on an explorer are one piece with the upper arm and run around $100 each. THe lowers are around $40 - 50. They don't take too long to install. If $250 is the total with labor and parts then do it. But I wouldn't replace just one.

For more info on your explorer head over to http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php

Search this Thread