Adjusting for worn motor mounts?

Old 04-03-03, 01:37 PM
Ednerd
Visiting Guest
Adjusting for worn motor mounts?

As stated in a previous post, I recently replaced both front drive shafts in my '92 Caravan (3.0, auto, 184k miles). I also replaced one front wheel hub and bearing assembly (as per that previous post), and will be replacing the other side next week.

The drive shafts came with a warning to the effect that worn motor mounts can cause the engine/tranaxle to shift to one side, putting excessive pressure on the drive axles and causing premature wear.

Is this something I can check for myself? If I find I have this problem, is it something I should attempt to adjust myself? Is there a service bulletin available that outlines the problem and solution?

Thanks.
Ed

Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-03, 02:02 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
Lot of miles. For your own peace of mind, I would change them. Pretty much straight forward job. Mounts are not that expensive.
If you have any mechanical ability and a few decent tools and jack, you should be able to change them one at a time yourself.

Old 04-03-03, 02:46 PM
there is no adjusment

Just to let you know there is no adjusment on engine mounts.You can only replace them.

Old 04-03-03, 03:53 PM
Chrysler vehicles with the 3.0 do require motor mount adjustment.It entails measuring the halfshaft length and I think something else I don't recall.Chrysler manual will help you on this.One symptom of the mounts being out of adjustment is a shimmy on hard acceleration from a stop.If you don't have this,I would't worry.

Old 04-03-03, 03:58 PM
ok sorry my bust

Ok I stand corrected I am still from the old school of rear wheel drive cars.It used to be much simpler to fix your car.

Old 04-04-03, 05:37 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree with Davo. I would replace the mounts at that mileage though.

I'm with Michael---rear wheel drive rules .

Old 04-04-03, 06:20 AM
Ednerd
Visiting Guest
Thanks all!

No, I don't have the acceleration shimmy. I do have some graons and clinks that weren't there before I changed the drive shafts. I think I just knocked loose some rust and dirt holding other things together, though! I probably also disturbed the seals in the front struts, so I'm adding them to the list - after the right wheel hub and motor mounts!

Then there's ... ah, it just never ends, does it!?!?

Thanks again.
Ed

Old 04-04-03, 09:12 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
With a 3.0 Mitsubishi, no, the list never ends .