Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Adjusting for worn motor mounts?

Visiting Guest

04-03-03, 01:37 PM   #1  
Ednerd
Adjusting for worn motor mounts?

As stated in a previous post, I recently replaced both front drive shafts in my '92 Caravan (3.0, auto, 184k miles). I also replaced one front wheel hub and bearing assembly (as per that previous post), and will be replacing the other side next week.

The drive shafts came with a warning to the effect that worn motor mounts can cause the engine/tranaxle to shift to one side, putting excessive pressure on the drive axles and causing premature wear.

Is this something I can check for myself? If I find I have this problem, is it something I should attempt to adjust myself? Is there a service bulletin available that outlines the problem and solution?

Thanks.
Ed

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

04-03-03, 02:02 PM   #2  
darrell McCoy
Lot of miles. For your own peace of mind, I would change them. Pretty much straight forward job. Mounts are not that expensive.
If you have any mechanical ability and a few decent tools and jack, you should be able to change them one at a time yourself.

TX

04-03-03, 02:46 PM   #3  
there is no adjusment

Just to let you know there is no adjusment on engine mounts.You can only replace them.

04-03-03, 03:53 PM   #4  
Chrysler vehicles with the 3.0 do require motor mount adjustment.It entails measuring the halfshaft length and I think something else I don't recall.Chrysler manual will help you on this.One symptom of the mounts being out of adjustment is a shimmy on hard acceleration from a stop.If you don't have this,I would't worry.

TX

04-03-03, 03:58 PM   #5  
ok sorry my bust

Ok I stand corrected I am still from the old school of rear wheel drive cars.It used to be much simpler to fix your car.

Visiting Guest

04-04-03, 05:37 AM   #6  
Joe_F
I agree with Davo. I would replace the mounts at that mileage though.

I'm with Michael---rear wheel drive rules .

Visiting Guest

04-04-03, 06:20 AM   #7  
Ednerd
Thanks all!

No, I don't have the acceleration shimmy. I do have some graons and clinks that weren't there before I changed the drive shafts. I think I just knocked loose some rust and dirt holding other things together, though! I probably also disturbed the seals in the front struts, so I'm adding them to the list - after the right wheel hub and motor mounts!

Then there's ... ah, it just never ends, does it!?!?

Thanks again.
Ed

Visiting Guest

04-04-03, 09:12 AM   #8  
Joe_F
With a 3.0 Mitsubishi, no, the list never ends .

Search this Thread