Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Stumped! Any ideas?

Visiting Guest

04-03-03, 05:12 PM   #1  
JackMaster
Stumped! Any ideas?

I just finished reassembling a GM 2.2L in a 1990 Cavalier. I had the head rebuilt at a machine shop and installed with a new head gasket. Head was torqued to specs and head gasket was installed properly.

Still seems to be burning coolant as white, sweet smelling smoke is being emitted from the exhaust pipe and the coolant level seems to be going low constantly. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

WA

04-03-03, 05:46 PM   #2  
Intake manifold??

Mike
Retired Real Estate Broker
Home Remodeler
Do it Yourselfer

04-03-03, 05:49 PM   #3  
I would think you have a cracked head or block if the repairs were done properly.Did the shop just machine the head or did you also pay to check for cracks?Did you check the deck(top)of the block for flatness?

Visiting Guest

04-03-03, 05:57 PM   #4  
JackMaster
The machine shop pressure tested the head and resurfaced it. They also ground the valves and seats. Pressure test was "good" according to them, therefore, they said the head was not cracked.

I did not check the flatness of the block. I suppose this would be done with a straightedge. How would I make it true or flat if it is warped?

Visiting Guest

04-04-03, 05:35 AM   #5  
Joe_F
Good chance the block may be wasted if it was heated up pretty badly.

I agree with Davo. There are tools out there to check for block flatness.

Search this Thread