No more electric vehicles!!!!

Old 04-09-03, 07:48 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
No more electric vehicles!!!!

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/biztech....ap/index.html

Finally! I have always been against electric vehicles from the getgo. The technology just never existed to make them practical. I am a HUGE fan of clean air---I just think we need to keep the internal combustion engine (for now) and use alternative fuels, not poison our environment with the lead from the batteries from all those electric vehicles.

I once read that a geo metro burning "leaded" gasoline will put out less lead pollution than 1 electric vehicle with all those lead batteries. (Some may not be using lead anymore?)

Regardless I thought you guys would find this interesting

Old 04-09-03, 08:17 AM
I guess it is safe to say I am scared of the unknown. I like combustion engines, in fact it would be safe to say I love them. But I am really just scared that when we move over to electric power we will not be able to buy performance parts from Summit or some place similar to customize our cars and trucks. I really enjoy building a vehicles from the ground up, starting with a frame and ending up with a nice truck. I think those days are numbed and it scares me. Besides they don’t make an electric vehicle that comes close to meeting my needs, when they roll out a 300HP 580Lbs/ft of torque electric motor that fit’s in a 3500 series pick up then I might pay attention. Or a electric Truck/SUV that can cross water and climb hills with out rattling for the rest of its life. It it just me or is any one else scared of electric vehicles?

Old 04-09-03, 08:34 AM
J
You said it well, these are the concerns I express. It is definetly the fear of the unknown for me. I look forward to building a muscle car someday with my unborn son, and fear that not being a reality.

There is just something unmanly about discussing my power in watts, gigs, etc. I can't see myself bragging about the 2000k volt superwinding ratostat winding electric motor to go into my "newest hotrod"---that scares me.

I bet these were the same things they were saying about cars back in the horse and buggy days

Old 04-09-03, 09:24 AM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
Thanks JT, interesting. I myself never did think elec was really very practical. Some of the battery prices I have seen quoted was a little scarey also. Elec cars maybe, if they had a small engine to keep them charged all the time. But I suppose that would defeat the purpose.

Old 04-09-03, 09:50 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Lol. I'm all for what works, is practical and can be done now. If it's going to be inconvient and more costly, it's useless to me.

Cars have been around for a while, but it wasn't until the infrastructure to support them became available that it really caught on. LOL.

It must be the same for guys that discuss gas versus electric appliances .

Old 04-09-03, 11:48 AM
They already use the watt to measure engine power in Europe. Internal combustion engines.

The technology just isn't cheap enough, possibly not even invented yet, for practical electric "SUV" use. (Or even practical full-time use at all in a vehicle)

Not only are the batteries prohibitively heavy and under powered, but where does that electricity come from that charges those batteries?

Either an included internal combustion engine or the combustion of fuel at the power plants. (Unless, of course, we make a lot more nuclear power plants..... nice prospect)

I don't think we're going to really consider exclusive electric until the batteries are lighter and more practical. It won't catch on enough yet because of that... so I'm not worried (yet).

Old 04-09-03, 05:00 PM
M
my 2 cents

I am all for the electric car thing I think that battery technology needs a little work but once they get that down its a free for all.
As far as souping up an electric car it wont be about what kind of cam or pistons you have but what kind of gears and motor windings you have.
Just think you can have a small electric motor now days do a great deal of work by combining the proper gears or pulleys. Yea I recall growing up slot cars they were pretty fast and could be made faster with gears and different motor combos.
Another good example is the winch on the front of a pickup if you apply this to a car or truck think of the torque you could pull houses off the foundation only limit would be traction.

Old 04-09-03, 10:46 PM
Yes winches produce a great deal of torque, but can the produce Torque and HP? I have seen some very big electric motors that make the same power in watt’s that a much smaller diesel dose.

Old 04-10-03, 05:40 AM
Antony W. Serio
Visiting Guest
I am not suprised that the auto manufacturers are going away from mass producing electric cars. The main problem with electric cars is the fact that batteries are not as 'energy dense' as gasoline. Thus, to have a 300 mile range, an electric car will have to carry around a load of batteries that weigh considerably more than 10-15 gallons of gasoline. They might become practical in urban areas if an inductive power distribution grid was embedded in the roadways. However, that would take many years, and cost millions if not billions in each city that it is implemented. Until then, there will still be electric cars built by people who have a passion for them, the same way people in this forum have a passion for hotrods.

Old 04-10-03, 05:48 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
True. We will just have to see what the future holds. We have to do something to reduce our dependence on foreign oil!

Old 04-10-03, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Antony W. Serio
They might become practical in urban areas if an inductive power distribution grid was embedded in the roadways.
Now that's a cool idea! If we can't improve battery technogy, this might be the way to go.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: