engine won't run

Old 04-05-03, 02:56 PM
wwc
Unhappy engine won't run

My son has a 96 baretta with the six cylinder engine. He just got the car a week ago from a friend who said it was sitting for a little while . We changed the fuel filter because the guy said it was dirty and caused it to stop running sometimes. Well it still won't run and now after changing the filter it won't run at all unless I shoot some starter fluid continually while it's started. I can keep it running as long as I keep sraying starter fluid in the engine while it's running, so It isn't getting gas to the engine.
We don't have very much money to spend on talking it to a dealer or shop right now so is there something we can do for it.
Would it be the fuel pump,injectors,computor controls?
thank you for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-03, 03:07 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
Check fuel pressure, then connections on fuel pump.
Check fuses. Since you have already changed the filter, very possible you have a bad fuel pump.

Old 04-05-03, 06:46 PM
wwc
Question how to

How do I check the pressure of the pump.
Isn't the fuel pump in the tank. And how do I check the connections from it.
What fuses would cause this to happen?
thanks

Old 04-05-03, 07:25 PM
jamoke
Visiting Guest
i would just take gas cap off and have someone just turn key to ON while u listen for the pump if you dont hear bzzzzzzzzt
for a few seconds then its time to see if it gets power down to the pump. there should be a pigtale plug underneath vehicle near
the gas tank refer to a repair manual for the proper wires to check
one wire will be hot all the time with the key ON and another one will be on for a few seconds when ya first turn key on" this wire would be for FUEL PUMP" and another wire for a ground some have 2 grounds which would yield 4 wires instead of 3
good luck

Old 04-05-03, 09:49 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Start with the links and posts in my signature file below.

Old 04-09-03, 09:58 PM
wwc
more info

we tried the fuses and they were good, The car has sat for a couple days and when we tried to start it I could hear the pump come on and then after a few cranks it started and ran a long time but later that night it wouldn't start again.
now what,thanks.

Old 04-10-03, 03:39 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
So what was the fuel pressure reading with the gauge?

Old 04-10-03, 10:41 PM
wwc
Question what pressure

What fuel pressure gage do you mean joe. the car doesn't have a pressure gage. And I don't have one either or where to even hook one up at. Where and how do I do that,If I need to.
Is there maybe some electrical device that controls the pump or is this a sign that the pump is going bad?
We let it run for about 15 to 20 minutes to see if it would act up and to put a little fresh charge to the battery and it ran good never missed a bit.
Would a dealer or shop be able to hook up their computer to the hook up under the dash and see past failures and know what is wrong?
Then when it has been off for a few days and starts we can drive it to the shop and find out.
I looked in your reference links joe and couldn't find anything on a baretta.please help,thanks.

Old 04-11-03, 03:31 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Correct, it doesn't have a fuel pressure gauge. You need to go to Autozone and rent one . That is how you can tell if we are dealing with a fuel or spark problem here.

Any other way is guesswork. Let us know what you find with the gauge.

Old 04-11-03, 10:05 PM
wwc
Does anyone know the answer to my question above about if a garage can tell by hooking up their computer to the dash plug and seeing past faults.

Where would a pressure gage hook up to find the fuel pressure?
There's wires and hoses everwhere,which one is the fuel line?lol

And I said before that it was 6 cylinder but it's not it's the four banger.
thanks.

Old 04-12-03, 07:28 AM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
Trial and error on new cars can be very costly. Sometimes simple and sometimes not. If you are going to keep the car, take it to a dealer, maybe they can tell immediately and you might get off with half hour labor charge. Your call as to whether they repair it or not. Going rate is about 70 an hour, but sometimes it is worth it due to the frustration. Example: Fuel pumps used to be 25 bucks, an easy DIY job. Now quality GM pumps are 180 bucks or so, plus labor you are looking at 300 easy.

Old 04-12-03, 09:41 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Original poster: Follow me.

First of all autolibrary.org will not find information on your vehicle is you don't spell its name right. It's BERETTA

The answer to your question is in autolibrary.org, or the folks at Autozone will help you when you rent a gauge. Check your library for a repair manual if you don't have anything on autolibrary.org.

There is no computer that tells the technician what is wrong---no such mystery fantasy machine. Only scanners which give diagnostic hints to the technician.

Darrell also gave you some good advice.

Old 04-12-03, 07:59 PM
wwc
oops

Yep My mistake thats what i get for not proof reading.
Joe where does the fuel pressure gage hook up at,assuming we can get it to start again and read a pressure.
But if we get it running and check the pressure what will that tell us.

Old 04-12-03, 08:53 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
You must read and understand my "Basics" post if you are going to attack it in a logical fashion. Anything else is guesswork and costly at that.

A fuel pressure gauge tells you if there is the proper fuel pressure in the system. You need good fuel pressure for the vehicle to run right (or at all). There is a hookup port on the fuel rail in most cases.

Old 05-19-03, 07:05 PM
wwc
Unhappy update

Well I changed the fuel pump and went ahead and changed the whole assembly,cost about $300 but was real easy and it runs great now .
BUT after a couple days of driving he rear ended another car and wrecked the whole front end,now he is going to be without a car for a long time!

Old 05-19-03, 10:11 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Aye. I suggest you get a used nose from the junkyard and install that. Make sure there is no structural damage (if there is, have it properly repaired or pitch the car if it's reall bad) before installing the used parts.