86 F150 Starter

Old 04-06-03, 06:01 AM
86 F150 Starter

1986 F150 P/U 300 6cyl. I cannot start via ignition switch. The first episode began when it would not ingage starter in park. I would drop in to (N) and it would ingage the starter. Now, it will not ingage in (N). I can turn the ingnition switch to on pos., and cross the solinoid which is located on the fender under the hood with a screw driver, and the vehicle will start. When I turn the ingition switch to start position, I can hear the solinoid switch click, but it will not ingage the starter. Can you tell me if it is the switch, or the solinoid?, and how difficult is the repair? Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-03, 07:51 AM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
If the solenoid clicks with the key but only starts when you jump the solenoid, usually a bad solenoid. However it is possible the safety swx may be malfunctioning.

Old 04-06-03, 09:35 AM
darrell, what is the safety swx?

Old 04-06-03, 09:57 AM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
Safety swx only allows the veh to start in park or neutral. Some are mounted on tranny and some on steering column. Check Joes basics.

Old 04-06-03, 12:19 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Darrell is talking about a neutral safety switch. He is correct. See my posts below.

Old 04-06-03, 12:33 PM
I preformed one of the tests via one of your links. Thank You. It appears to be the safety switch. Where would I find it?

Old 04-06-03, 05:25 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Depending on the tranny used, at the base of the steering column or on the tranny. Get the tranny code from the sticker on the door and hit the parts store for the right replacement.

Check autolibrary.org as I instructed the first time for location and R&R

Search this Thread