Stahls out when I put it in gear...

Old 04-06-03, 07:53 AM
raymo8
Visiting Guest
Stahls out when I put it in gear...

1992 Pontiac Grand Am
4 cyl. 2.3 Liter "D" Type Engine
47,000 miles
Brand new parts: Battery, alternator, starter, fuel filter, spark plugs, oil change.

Hey Everyone,

I just put a new alternator in my car, charged the battery up to full, and it started right up. It ran great in park but as soon as I put it into gear, it instantly died without giving me any chance to keep it going.

I let it sit for 5 minutes or so and tried it again. Oddly, it stayed running when I would shift it through the gears and drive up and down the driveway. What is going on? Could it be a computer problem? Why is it stahling out sometimes and then working like nothing is wrong other times?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-03, 12:26 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
It could be a stuck converter clutch solenoid, or a bad alternator not putting out.

If the alternator is not an AC Delco unit, it's junk. Get a Delco unit to rule out a bad alternator.

Disconnect the four pin square plug at the top of the tranny (if it's a 3 speed). If the problem goes away, the TCC solenoid is wasted. Leave it disconnected.

Old 04-06-03, 03:12 PM
raymo8
Visiting Guest
Joe,

I already tested the alternator by removing the battery cables when it was running. The car kept running so I assumed that it was ok. Plus, the alternator is an AC Delco anyway.

Is the converter clutch solenoid accessible or do I have to take off lots of parts to get to it? Plus, what does it look like and will disconnecting it completely solve the problem? The car also hesitates real badly too. Could the TCC solenoid be causing that too?

Old 04-06-03, 05:21 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! That is not the proper test for the altnerator. You can easily wipe out a diode and ruin it that way.

Only use a digital meter to check output as noted in my "The Basics" post noted below.

The TCC connector is a square four pin connector at the top of the tranny torward the front top--easy to get to.