Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Wet Floor Board

Visiting Guest

04-06-03, 12:53 PM   #1  
wingplow
Wet Floor Board

I have a 1998 Olds. Intrigue. The rear pass. side floor board always seems to be wet. I used a shop vac to get as much water up as possible and then I let the carpet dry out by letting the car sit in the garage for a couple of days. The carpet was totaly dry.
I took the car for a ride on a rainy day and checked the floor and sure enough it was wet. Checked all body seams under the car, everything seems fine. I ran my hand along the top of the fender well, that was from inside the trunk and it was wet. Same thing on drivers side but not as bad. Anybody have any ideas where the water might be coming from. I had a freind do a carfax for me and it showed that the car was never in a accident.

any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

04-06-03, 02:18 PM   #2  
darrell McCoy
Possibilities: Back glass seal , bad trunk lid gasket OR check the body seams around trunk, maybe a bad seam seal around the quarter panels. Also maybe a bad door seal if its a 4 dr. You have checked underneath, but I would look again as water will suck right up off road and into floor area.

Visiting Guest

04-06-03, 05:23 PM   #3  
Joe_F
These models have had numerous water leak issues as I recall. Check alldata.com and see a dealer for a copy of the bulletin and the subsequent fix.

NJ

04-07-03, 06:08 AM   #4  
There are 2 problems with these cars.

1) The evaporator core drain gets plugged. When you run the A/C, the HVAC module fills up and water comes out where it's not supposed to - typically passenger side floorboard where the heater motor meets the case. You can clean the drain by removing the elbow (close to the middle of the firewall, down low - easiest to get at from underneath). Poke at it with a piece of stiff wire, but not too far in so you don't poke a hole in your evaporator core. There's a TSB on this.

2) When the dealer or other mechanic replaces the cabin air filter, they neglect to re-install the "water deflector". It's a VERY important $7 piece of rubber that keeps the water off of the HVAC module inlet. It's beneath the cowl trim on the RH side of the windshield. Park the wipers in the "up" position by shutting the key off. Remove the large plastic "screw" (looks like a screw but it's actually a nut). Remove the plastic rivets on either side. Unclip the washer hoses and move them out of the way. Peel back the hood seal. Take the cover off. You'll see the cabin air filter and you SHOULD see a rubber seal attached the the sheet metal directly beneath the windshield. This is often missing due to careless "mechanics" and allows A LOT of water in the car.

Good luck,
Jim

NJ

04-07-03, 09:37 AM   #5  
Ooops - you said REAR passenger side. The TSBs refer mostly to leaks in the front due to an insane engineering design with the HVAC module.

As mentioned, a leak in the back could be caused by lots of things. Make sure the rubber around the back door is all in place. Since it simply snaps in, it doesn't take much for it to get misaligned. Use a dollar-bill to go around the door and trunk edge to make sure there's a tight seal at the door and decklid. Look for water stains on carpet, headliner, package shelf, etc. to find the actual point of entry.

Make sure you leave the carpet propped up until it dries completely. It will get moldy/mildewed and stink.

Jim

Visiting Guest

04-07-03, 09:40 AM   #6  
Joe_F
There's a TSB with trunk leakage I believe. I'd check it out and see if that is what your symptoms are similar to.

OK

04-09-03, 12:44 PM   #7  
Don't know if this will help, but I had a 280z that had drains on the bottom of the door that were stopped up. The door would fill with water during a rain. good luck

Visiting Guest

04-09-03, 05:08 PM   #8  
wingplow
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue

I'am goingto check all these things out and I will let you know the results.
Thanks again for all the help

Visiting Guest

04-10-03, 02:27 PM   #9  
wingplow
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue

I found the problem for all the water on the floor board. I was like turbojimmy said. The rubber water deflector was missing. I want to say thanks to turbojimmy for leading me in the right direction.
Also does anybody knowof an address or web sight I can go to so I can order a Hazard Warning Control Switch for the Intrigue.
The part Number is 1040-1280.
Thanks again

04-10-03, 03:07 PM   #10  
I'm glad you found your leak,however you may wish to remove the seats and carpet and let it really dry out.You can put the seats back in while letting the carpet dry.Two reasons for this your carpet will not dry while in the car without developing odors and possible mold/fungus which will lead to rot.The second reason is your Inflatable restaint sensing and diagnostic module(air bag) is under the pass seat and it doesn't like moisture.It may already be too late however.If your air bag lamp comes on in the future you may want to mention that this occured to save yourself diagnostic fees.

NJ

04-10-03, 03:08 PM   #11  
Re: 1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue

Originally posted by wingplow
I found the problem for all the water on the floor board. I was like turbojimmy said. The rubber water deflector was missing. I want to say thanks to turbojimmy for leading me in the right direction.
Also does anybody knowof an address or web sight I can go to so I can order a Hazard Warning Control Switch for the Intrigue.
The part Number is 1040-1280.
Thanks again
No problem. I have a '99 Buick Century that's a rebuilt total (hard RH front hit, so that HVAC module/cowl area was pretty messed up) and had the same problem. The guy that rebuilt the car forgot to put that seal in. The shop manuals are very vague on it, too. You really have to know what you're looking for in order to realize it was missing. I pulled the dashboard out and the HVAC module trying to fix the "leak". Turns out it was just that seal. Oh well, it only took me 13 hours to pull that dash and put it back in......

For your switch, there are 2 really good sources for heavily discounted GM parts:
www.gmpartsdirect.com
www.allgmpartsonline.com

Jim

04-11-03, 09:16 PM   #12  
There is also a TSB on the rear deck lid.
http://www.cybrrpartspro.com/OEMBulletins05/051947.pdf

NJ

04-22-03, 05:41 AM   #13  
Re: Re: 1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue

Originally posted by turbojimmy
For your switch, there are 2 really good sources for heavily discounted GM parts:
www.gmpartsdirect.com
www.allgmpartsonline.com

Jim
Sorry I had to bump this one up. I have a correction.....

DO NOT go to allgmpartsonline.com. Their voicemail greeting says they are "closed indefinitely" and their online catalog no longer works (though the site is still up).

The guy owes me $76 for some A/C lines I returned. I have a feeling I'm not going to get it.

GMPARTSDIRECT, who has been around a while, is still a good bet. I just got a balancer for my GN from them.

Jim

Search this Thread