Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

daytime running lights

IL

04-07-03, 11:38 AM   #1  
daytime running lights

I'm aware of the supposed safety factor,but I feel daytime running lights wear out your battery faster and also wear out your headlights faster.I keep my cars a long time and am on a tight budget.Would there be any problems with having the daytime lights disconnected? The cars in question are chevrolets.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

04-07-03, 11:44 AM   #2  
darrell McCoy
old wives tale. I wouldnt be concerned about "wearing out battery faster" nor bulbs either for that matter. Stuff like that is all configured into the system. Dont go cutting wires.

Visiting Guest

04-07-03, 11:57 AM   #3  
Joe_F
Leave the wiring alone. I agree. Fallacy. Doesn't harm the system in any way.

IL

04-07-03, 12:07 PM   #4  
not quite Darryl

If you drive on open roads at high to moderate speeds battery life won't be affected,but if you drive in big city traffic jams,stop and go traffic it will wear down down the life of the battery.As far as headlamps wearing out,I do very little night driving and have never replaced a headlight(keep my cars 15yrs.plus). My neighbor works nights,is single goes out a lot on weekend nights has had to replace many headlights over the years.At any rate I'm more interested in finding out what's involved and whether there are any problems with disconnecting my DRL'S.

Visiting Guest

04-07-03, 01:15 PM   #5  
Joe_F
If you know the "answer" to your question, why are you asking us? LOL

Flat out wrong. DRL's use the lamps at less intensity and DO NOT burn out the bulb sooner in the real world. Disabling them on a car so originally equipped may be illegal in certain areas causing to fail safety inspections and might cause you an accident, never mind dropped insurance coverage in an accident if your insurance company finds out you bypassed a safety feature (which by the way nets you a discount with some insurance companies).

As we noted, DO NOT disable the DRL's. Leave them alone, as is, functioning. Your safety or someone's around you could depend on it.

There are a couple of problems noted right there. Another is tapping into a functional and good wiring harness without any trouble. The more you probe and play around, the more chances for electrical gremlins.

Search this Thread