Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Sporadic overheating

04-07-03, 04:14 PM   #1  
Sporadic overheating

95 Dodge Caravan, 2.5L, Automatic Trans, A/C not many more extras.

Problem is overheating but very sporadic and unpredictable.
I have replaced the thermostat because I thought it was probably sticking.

I have also replaced the water pump (WOW), because it seemed that there was insufficient flow even after the new thermostat, (top radiator hose was still cool while temperature gauge was rising well past normal).

The problem is still intermitent at best, this is my wifes vehicle and she works like maybe 2 miles from our home, it heats up on her during her comute to work but not on the return, sometimes ?!?

In all cases so far we have not been running the A/C or the heater.

I'm baffled, any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links

04-07-03, 07:39 PM   #2  
sounds like a thermostat problem if the upper hose still remains cool, sometimes you get a bad one. does it have any coolant loss if so could have a head gasket or cracked head,common problem with the 2.5l most shops could do a test for a possible head or headgasket problem.

04-07-03, 08:51 PM   #3  
Well, as a matter of fact this is not the first time we (my wife and I) have had a run in with "the little neddle thingy going all the way over to the red H". So after replacing the head a little more than a year ago, I explained to her that she needed to stop driving when this phenomena occurs.

So, this time she did the right thing and stoped immediately and called me to come and get her anyway I'm hoping that the head is ok.

Oh yeah, no coolant loss (visible anyway), no signs of coolant in the oil, plugs look fine, plus she still runs great.

I know head gasket is still a possibility but I'm saving that for the very last bad news option.

Visiting Guest

04-08-03, 03:47 AM   #4  
Joe_F
You could very well have an air pocket, check autolibrary.org for the coolant bleed procedure.

I'm with BeJay on the 2.5---common gasket blower.

04-08-03, 02:14 PM   #5  
I hope this is not a stupid question, but how do I gain access to autolibrary.org ?

I've tried a couple of times to visit the site but I get an error message informing me that I do not have permission to view the page. Is this like James Bonds auto library?

04-09-03, 03:17 AM   #6  
Cut and paste:

http://www.cybrrpartspro.com/Manual%20Lookup/cal_ModelLookup.htm

Or use Joe's Link

Visiting Guest

04-09-03, 05:32 AM   #7  
Joe_F
As Weld stated, or just look below at the link.

04-09-03, 09:58 PM   #8  
I checked the link (thanks for telling me where to look, sometimes I like to make things harder than they need to be).

The link only provided some general tips for maintaining, draining and filling procedures (it did say warm up and let cool down sveral times to remove trapped air pockets).

However, the idea of an air pocket had crossed my mind sveral times. The fill hole is not the highest point in the cooling system, as it once used to be, at least on vehicles I had worked on previously.

So I put her back on the ramps, and pulled out a plug that is located on the thermostat housing and added fluid untill it was definetly up to that point, then replaced the plug.

It seems to have worked, this design (cooling system) seems a little silly to me, but who am I ?

Thanks for the help gentlemen, I truely appreciate it!

Visiting Guest

04-10-03, 05:55 AM   #9  
Joe_F
Yes, air pockets are common with this system. I have had to convince my friend (who should know better) that his 1991 2.2 Shadow has an air pocket not a blown head gasket from what he's told me. LOL.

Search this Thread