Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

blower motor wont stop

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-08-03, 05:40 PM   #1  
blower motor wont stop

Hello Joe, and everyone!

I have a 1985 Buick Park Avenue, FWD, 3.8liter MPFI engine, with digital climate control. Recently, the blower motor would blow erratically and intermittently, even when the car was switched off. The problem disappeared as quickly as it came, and I dismissed it. However, today my wife went out to start it and the battery was dead. As soon as I connected the jumper cables, the blower motor started blowing. This is what killed my battery. It blows at varied speeds at any given time, even with the blower motor fuse pulled and the key switched off. Before I call in the catholic preists, I wonder if any of you have encountered this situation before.

I have a feeling I'm going to be tracing wires through harnesses and all that fun garbage. I despise hunting erratic electrical problems, lol! Especially on cars like these....with 10 miles of wire behind the dash. Could it be the climate control module?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

04-08-03, 06:35 PM   #2  
darrell McCoy
Cheese:
Did you by chance check each and every fuse? I have seen hair pullers like this. A fuse can be blown that is not even related to the component and you get what I call a reverse feed. To much automatic stuff anymore I think. Like the guy who accidently pushed the MPH and Klm button on his 2000 P/Ave. He went nuts trying to read the speedo. Your Problem does not sound like it is in the controls since it runs with key off.

04-08-03, 06:35 PM   #3  
i have seen several cadillacs that would do this due to a bad blower speed control module [ thats probably not the correct name] but it might be worth checking out to see if your car is equiped with a electronic module instead of a resistor block,they bolt into the ducting to help keep them cool much like a resistor block would.
on cadillacs the blower motor would have full time power going to the blower motor the module would then control the speed by being able to vary the resistance to ground based on imputs from the climate control. a decent wiring diagram should show you if you car is similiar.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-08-03, 07:51 PM   #4  
bejay...I unplugged the multi-wire plug that connects to what looks like a blower motor resistor, but it may be a module in there...I don't know. The fan still ran. There was one seperate large red wire (power supply) still connected to it by it's own connector. I did not unplug it to see if it would stop. I did unplug the blower motor to temporarily fix the prob until It quits raining enough to look at it. I'll pull the resistor or module out to find out what it is and post what I find.

Darrell... I thought about something backfeeding through the blower motor, using it as a ground, but I don't know of anything in the car that consumes enough electricity when the key is off to run the blower. Do you?

Another thing that I might add, in case these things are related, and help someone pinpoint the problem: The AC compressor comes on every time I start the car, no matter if it was turned off when the car was parked...it's on again when you start it. To get it to turn off, I have to select a function that calls for the compressor to run (like defrost,max, or norm) and then switch it back to "off". Just hitting "off" alone doesn't stop it. (it has a touchpad control, no levers, slides, or switches). Also, the accessory fan does not come on when the compressor does. All these things together are what gives me the feeling that the climate control module is bad...but I hate to just go on a feeling, lol.

I sort of inherited the car from my grandfather a few years ago, and it only had 59k original miles and is/was in near mint condition. It's a nice comfortable good looking ride, even if it is old. That's why I want to make the effort to keep it in good working order.

God bless!

Visiting Guest

04-09-03, 05:41 AM   #5  
Joe_F
Cheese:

BeJay has you covered. Yes, the blower module gets wasted, sticks and causes the fan to run. It takes the place of a blower resistor on a "normal" C60 (non automatic) type system to my knowledge. Yes, it is a common failure item on Cadillacs and others that use it.

I assume you have automatic temperature control by your description.

Shoot me an e-mail at [email protected] and I'll print you out the illustration and information from the GM Parts Imager so you know what you are looking at.

Also, next time it sticks, try rapping on the blower motor with a rubber mallet (with the switches off). If it goes off, the motor is wasted.

As for the control panel being wasted, sure, it's a possibility, but don't fret. There are aftermarket companies that offer rebuilts or rebuild your old one fairly reasonably.

My sister had this exact car she got from her father-in-law and I did extensive work on it before I gave it to her to drive. It served her well for 3 years until she upgraded to a new Jeep back in 1996. The car actually wound up in my neighborhood to a neighbor and I haven't seen it in a while. It got walloped in the front and looked pretty rough .

Let me know.

Visiting Guest

04-09-03, 11:07 AM   #6  
darrell McCoy
Cheese: Good point on not having enuff oooomph to run the heater motor thru back feed. My brain does not function like it did about 45 years ago. I am in pretty good with the GM dealer, had a little talk with them. Joe and Bejay have real good points on your problem from what I heard from the guys this AM.
Joe: Re: smashed Buick in neighborhood. Does make a guy a little sick sometime. I had this emacualte 62 chev Impalla, candy apple red. Some dude came by one day. "You wanna sell" well I opened my mouth and gave him a over priced figure. I opened mouth and he opens billfold. Sad part: Same nite he totalled it. Made me sick, wish I had kept it.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-09-03, 09:37 PM   #7  
Thanks guys! I'll check it out and let you know how it goes. I suppose if the blower control module is bad, it wouldn't have anything to do with the other problem with the compressor coming on, right? Hopefully I can get a chance to check it out tomorrow.

Joe...mail is on 'da way,
darrell...thanks for taking the time to check with the GM dealer about this...I appreciate it.

God bless!

Visiting Guest

04-10-03, 05:51 AM   #8  
Joe_F
Ok Cheese, I'm on it.

I have a ton of wiring diagrams and information printed out for you, and that should get you going.

Give me a fax # via this forum or e-mail and it's out to you.

Good luck and let us know...

Darrell: I really didn't have much attraction to this vehicle (actually, my sister's was a 2 door coupe, not a bad car actually), but I hate to see my effort go to pot. LOL

Search this Thread