battery

Old 04-10-03, 07:12 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
battery

I have a 1996 Mercury Sable that hasn't been driven much in the past couple of years. About a year ago I bought a new battery. The car was not driven during most of this past winter, and it was freezing cold for a long, long time in Indiana this year. The battery of course was dead. Once the weather broke I took the battery out of the car a hooked it to a charger over night. I put it back in and tried to start the car and there was barely a grunt. The dome light was working. I tried to jump start it and still barely a moan. Should I have the battery tested, or should I tow the car in because it is likely something else?

Old 04-10-03, 07:31 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
doesn't take much to make a dome lite come on.
A 96, and if it is the original battery, past due time for a battery. Have it tested. If you jumped the veh from another veh, did the jumper veh have the engine running. Makes a difference.
Cold weather, electronic system and not running, battery will go dead on you. Have seen many new ones on lots do that.
Bad news if it has set a really long time you may have to put a bit of oil in cylinders and see if you can manually turn the engine over.

Old 04-11-03, 06:16 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I replaced the original battery a year ago, so this is only a year old. Yes, when I jumped it, the other vehicle was running. I had the car running a week ago and it ran beautifully. I had put the battery on the charger for about six hours and it started right up. I wasn't able to drive it for a week after that, so the battery was dead again. When I charged it this time, over night, the scenario told in the first message happened.

Old 04-11-03, 06:30 AM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
Have the battery checked and then clean the connections, maybe
Having the battery out a couple times you hopefully just have a bad connection. Even if they look OK, remove them and thoroughly clean.

Old 04-11-03, 07:34 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree with Darrell.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: