how to replace an electric side mirror

Old 04-13-03, 08:29 AM
dj7771
Visiting Guest
how to replace an electric side mirror

My son hit a mailbox and knocked off his passenger side mirror, I need info on how to replace it, it is a Mitz Lanser 2002
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-03, 06:44 AM
You'll probly need to remove the inside door panel to get to the bolts.

Old 04-14-03, 09:34 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree. Hit the dealership for an exploded view of the mirror and mounting. The parts person can easily print that for you.

Old 04-15-03, 06:26 PM
crosswind
Visiting Guest
my wife did the same thing with her minivan. Get this.........then she said it wasn't her fault! it was the momentum of the van that caused the accident. .........Good thing it wasn't the momentum of the mailbox huh.

Old 04-15-03, 06:37 PM
Crosswind,
My wife has done it twice already and it has "never" been her fault.

Old 04-16-03, 05:20 AM
My wife takes hers out while exiting the garage. Usually the passenger side. I've started buying the el cheapo after market ones instead of the ones from the stealer...er, dealer.

Typically there will be 3 nuts beneath a trim cover on the door. Sometimes you have to remove the door panel, sometimes not.

Jim

Old 04-16-03, 05:56 AM
Well.... Just Be Glad

My wife totaled a BMW this week.

Old 04-16-03, 07:11 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I thought she got rear ended ? Not her fault.

Besides, BMW's are a dime a dozen. As long as the person is OK, you can always buy another BMW.

Old 04-18-03, 07:57 PM
Start buying stock in passanger side mirrors cause she did it again!!!!! This is the third mirror wiped out on the same car. This time my son interupts me in the shower and says "Mom needs to talk. It's an emergency!" She said she was pulling over for an ambulance to go by and a phone pole was to close to the road so of course it wasn't her fault.

Oh well what can you do? Hey Joe does anybody sell rubber mirrors?

Old 04-19-03, 03:08 AM
Originally posted by mattison
Start buying stock in passanger side mirrors cause she did it again!!!!! This is the third mirror wiped out on the same car. This time my son interupts me in the shower and says "Mom needs to talk. It's an emergency!" She said she was pulling over for an ambulance to go by and a phone pole was to close to the road so of course it wasn't her fault.

Oh well what can you do? Hey Joe does anybody sell rubber mirrors?
I've been getting my mirrors from here. MUCH less expensive than the dealer (because they're aftermarket). Quality is okay - they match cosmetically but "feel" a little cheesier. But they're disposable.

EDIT: forgot the link - http://www.autobodypartsonline.com

Jim

Last edited by turbojimmy; 04-19-03 at 04:07 PM.
Old 04-19-03, 03:25 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Lol. I changed one mirror on the 84 Oldsmobile, but the cable was loose, not a broken glass

Sure there are rubber coated mirrors as well as ones that flap in/fold in when they are hit. Most new cars have this.