Gas Leak!

Old 04-14-03, 11:39 AM
winkmccarthy
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Gas Leak!

I filled up my 1988 Mazda 626 today with gas, and after returning to the office for about 35 minutes, I went back out to a huge spot under my car. It's leaking under the drivers side rear wheel well, and looks like it could be the gas tank. Any ideas? I drove it anyways for about 25 minutes or so, and it wasn't making a dent on the gas gauge & it seemed to drive just fine. Is it driveable? Any ideas on where to look?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-03, 12:00 PM
winkmccarthy
Visiting Guest
PS. This is a four cylinder Mazda. FYI.

Old 04-14-03, 12:39 PM
-you may have not put the gas cap back on properly

-if you suspect a gas leak---you need to stop driving it immediately, all it needs is one little spark and you are history

Old 04-14-03, 12:45 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Have it checked out professionally. It could be a leaking wheel cylinder that will leave you without brakes which is dangerous.

Did you smell the fluid? What did it smell like?

Old 04-14-03, 01:23 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
If filler is on that side, see if there is a rubber hose between filler neck and tank nipple. Maybe needs tightened or replaced.

Old 04-14-03, 01:59 PM
winkmccarthy
Visiting Guest
It's not the wheel cylinder, I've just had that replaced on that same side. It smells like GAS. I put my finger through it and it's dark like oil, but smells of gas profusely. When my brake cylinder was leaking, it didn't really have a smell. So i know it's not that.

Old 04-14-03, 03:17 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
As noted by other posters, have it checked out at once and don't drive it as it is dangerous.

Old 04-14-03, 04:18 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
Dont think it would smell like gas but check strut or shock. Might have just popped a seal. I dont think gas would be of the viscosity you describe, Any doubt however, as previous posts, have it check ASAP.