coolant change 99 carvan, 3.3 v6

Old 04-14-03, 03:53 PM
coolant change 99 carvan, 3.3 v6

I can find the air bleeder screw refered to, but not shown in my service manual. Where is it? Won't drain unless this is open?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-03, 04:03 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
supposed to be on the thermostat housing. Might consider replacing thermostat at this time also. System can bleed while replacing it.

Old 04-15-03, 05:46 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree. What service manual are you using?

Old 05-18-03, 08:20 PM
Unhappy I can't believe this

OK, I think I found the bleed screw. Ready to drain the coolant. Simple right? Turned the drain valve at the lower left on radiator and nothing drains out! This is nutty. I've drained and filled the coolant on every vehicle I've ever owned. Good Lord, how hard could it be? Is my drain valve defective- clogged- or am I missing something obvious?

Old 05-19-03, 09:19 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
If you put a hose in the radiator with the cap off and turn it on, do you get anything out of the bottom?

Also, are you removing the drain **** on the radiator or the bleeder screw on the engine?

Old 05-19-03, 12:55 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
Have you ever drained coolant before from the radiator drain pet-****? If so then you know it isnt defective. If not then maybe you do have a bad drain. Else it is clogged up. I have used about 3lbs of air to reverse blow these valves. Use just a hand air pump and see what happens. Do it when coolant is cold.
And with rad. cap loose but not off.

Old 05-19-03, 07:05 PM
First time on this vehicle. I actually did something similar to what you described. I connected a length of hose to the barb and tried blowing on it. I could hear the air escaping from around the valve. I also took a short length of plastic string from my weed wacker and gently poked it into the barb on the valve outlet.

Some of these valves turn a few revalutuions, this one appears to turn 90 deg then stop, like a plumbing ball valve.

i bet you a Chrysler mechanic has seen this before. Know any you could ask ;-)

Thanks

Old 05-19-03, 10:12 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Which service manual are you using?

Old 05-20-03, 05:59 AM
I have two. Haynes and Chiltons. Each a little different, I'm not impressed with either.

Old 05-20-03, 06:04 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Because they rob it from the source which is the Chrysler OEM manual. I suggest you order it for the future .

You can also get a 25 dollar annual Alldata.com subscription. Much better information.

Old 05-20-03, 06:43 AM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
Seems some of those plastic petcocks have an outer seal and also an inner seal. After you unscrew the half or 3/4 turn, you have to jiggle them and pull them out. Seen GM's like that. Possible that the inner 0 ring is just stuck over the years. Most do not unscrew like the old brass ones used to.

Old 05-20-03, 06:53 AM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
I think petcock is the wrong term really. It is more like a radiator drain "plug"