More help with Camry Window...:(

Old 04-14-03, 06:45 PM
tkays
Visiting Guest
More help with Camry Window...:(

Okay. Original Problem 1995 Camry. The rear driver side window would not go up or down. Had it taped up for the longest time and finally decided we needed to fix it. I bought a new motor(well Salvaged) come to find out the motor works fine...So it has to be the switch right? Well I am not so sure.
We changed the switch, no change. Both switches will roll the window down, no problem. However, no switch we tried(even one off of the passenger door will roll the window up!!!???
How can all the switches roll the window down no problem but not back up? If we bypass the switch and attach it to a battery (rig it up) or whatever it will roll the window back up??

What am I missing. What would it be that does not let the switch roll the window back up? Has anyone ever heard of this?
Remember We have changed the motor and the switch. I need some help here, it is driving me crazy

Again it is a 1995 Camry....Thanks for any help that you might be able to give..it is truly appreciated

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-03, 08:31 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
Elec problems can be a real PITA. Especially if you have no wiring schematic. Since the motor works "hot wired" I would get a volt meter and see what wire on the motor plug is no hot. Look at the color and check the wire again a few inches back from the plug, dont cut the wire, use a small probe. you may have something as simple as a bad solder or crimp connection in the plug itself. About all you can do without a schematic is keep testing the wire, wherever you can trace it to. You evidently have a ground as it works when you wire it direct. Possibly a broken wire, maybe in the door boot. Might check parts place and see about a relay/relays. Their diagram should show you something.

Old 04-15-03, 05:43 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree with Darrell.

Old 04-15-03, 07:12 AM
You problem is most likley with the master sw. There is no "hot" wire for the motor, it uses both wires and reverses the polarity to change direction of the motor.

When the master switch is at rest postion it provides ground to both wires. The door sw when activated will switch the ground off and apply power to that wire. That's what your missing is the ground in the up postion.

If you use a jump wire to ground the red/black wire at the door it should go up (caution only apply sw up! it will blow the fuse if apply the sw down) If that works find the red/yellow wire at the master sw and ground that, apply the rear door sw up (only up same as above) , if that works your master switch is NG.

Based on the switches and the combos you used there are no broken wires and the above diag should prove true

Larry

Old 03-05-05, 11:33 AM
jdetar7
Visiting Guest
camry window repair

I recently had a similar problem: the electric window motor would run, but the window glass would not move. The problem was first thought to be a defective motor, but the problem proved to be mechanical rather than electrical. After removing the interior panel, it was discovered that the steel cable that lifts the window lift mechanism had pulled loose, but the one that lowers it was still connected. I reinserted the cable and used duck tape to assure that it would stay assembled. Then I tried to rewind the cable and reinsert it into the take-up spool. That proved to be impossible--the spool could not be rewound and successfully reinserted into the electric motor housing. The final solution was to visit the local wrecking yard and obtain the entire window assembly intact--electric window motor, spool, lift and cable. I paid $15.00 for the assembly.

Last edited by jdetar7; 03-05-05 at 11:40 AM. Reason: correcting