The Fuel Pump on 92 Dodge Dynasty

Old 04-15-03, 09:18 AM
sclarkx2
Visiting Guest
The Fuel Pump on 92 Dodge Dynasty

92 Dodge Dynasty
3.3 L, Automatic Transmission.

I have a question on the fuel pump of a 92 Dodge Dynasty.

I can see where the lines go into the gas tank, and hence, where the fuel pump is located, as I'm aware that the fuel pump is in the gas tank.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but It faces (out from) the rear of the vehicle, horizontally (from the rear side of the tank).

Now, this looks a little bit strange. Its not a nut & bolt assembly. Is there some tool you use to twist it out?

Basically my question is--how do you actually remove the fuel pump?

Thanks,

-Stephen

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-03, 09:45 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Lower the fuel tank and take it out of the vehicle.

CAREFULLY, using a screwdriver and a hammer, tap on the retaining ring and screw it loose. The ring comes off, and the pump lifts out with the sender and float (Of course, the hoses must be removed going to the pump).

See autolibrary.org for more specific R&R or consult a service manual.

Old 04-16-03, 10:44 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
I agree with Joe_F, but for safety's sake don't use a screwdriver to loosen the fuel pump retainer.

A screwdriver could potentially cause a spark, which could prove disastrous in the presence of gasoline fumes.

There are wrenches available to remove these rings, but I don't know anyone who actually owns one.

Everyone I know (and I do this stuff for a living) uses a brass drift to remove/install fuel pump retaining rings.