Starter problems

Old 04-13-03, 04:50 PM
dontnomuch
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Starter problems

I replaced my starter because I found I could jump contacts to make it start, at least I think it is the starter. I replaced it with a new one, and the same thing happens, however, the solenoid does not kick the starter in to start the vehicle. And the positive terminal wire as well as the neg get hot and smoke when trying to start it. What am I doing wrong? Please help. I also made sure that the tyerminals were properly attactched to the starter and reversed.
Thank you

Old 04-13-03, 07:38 PM
SimK68
Visiting Guest
Ok, what kind of car is it? MAke? Model?.... If it can be done, trace your wires, you may have a short someplace,which is causeing it to do that.

I had a similar problem with a bad solenoid... And when I got it in,and hooked up it just cliced, until I re-secured the SCREWS and NUTS on the solinoild terminals... So you might wanna check that as well. But it sounds like theres a short in the wire, or something is not grounding properly. Soleniods can be screwy sometimes.

I think bottom line also is, your soleniod is toast.

Good Luck

Old 04-14-03, 03:26 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
If you jump it out and it starts, could be a bad solenoid or wiring to it.

Old 04-15-03, 02:27 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I It would help alot if we knew Make/Model. Did you read post on what should be included in your post? If not go back and read it, it helps us help you.

Old 04-15-03, 11:08 AM
dontnomuch
Visiting Guest
ty

thank you, problem solved, it was a ground problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: