Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Muncie transmition

Visiting Guest

04-15-03, 04:47 PM   #1  
MALINDA
Muncie transmition

My husband has an old jeep. It has a 4-speed Muncie trans of unknown age. We had to have the pressure-plate, throw-out bearing, and clutch replaced. (It broke-down at the garage while picking up my car.) Since we got it back first and second gears are backwards. He has tried to adjust the linkage to no avail. We've been told it was just mounted backwards, or a gear inside the trans, or maybe it needs a new shifter box and that it just isn't possible. HELP!

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

04-15-03, 06:11 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Take it back to the shop and have them rectify the problem at no cost to you.

NJ

04-16-03, 05:23 AM   #3  
It's very easy to accidently reverse the shifter linkage on those old transmissions. I did the same thing on a Muncie-equipped Monte Carlo I used to own. My memory is foggy on how I rectified it, but since you had a "professional" fix it, have him/her take care of it.

Jim

Visiting Guest

04-16-03, 10:40 PM   #4  
knuckles
Sounds like one of the shift arms (the small lever that bolts to the shift shaft in the trans. side cover) was installed upside down. It's a 10 minute fix if that's the case.

Search this Thread