Engine Repair

Old 04-17-03, 09:46 AM
tanun
Visiting Guest
Talking Engine Repair

I have a 1995 Dodge Neon 4 Dr Sport 2.0L with AC, my engine is leaking oil from the head gasket but only at one corner of the engine. now I would like to fix this myself, what should I do first or can anyone give me information on how to fix this. or is this a fix that requires a mechanic?

Old 04-17-03, 09:56 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
This is known problem with this engine. The repair is fairly extensive and requires some tools (torque wrench, good hand tools), machine shop work (making sure the head is straight), and a service manual (Dymet does the Chrysler service manual).

You might have SOME recourse through a dealership as this was a known problem with these engines (my friend's 2.4 Stratus also had this problem), so much so, Chrysler redesigned the gasket at least four times.

Depending on your ability and the access you have to good tools and information, that would determine if you want to tackle it yourself. Plan on a few weekends worth of work depending on the time you can devote and your ability.

Old 04-17-03, 11:33 AM
tanun
Visiting Guest
but if the engine is leaking from only one spot on the engine could there be another fix instead of a complete replacement of the gasket?

Old 04-17-03, 12:20 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
No, the gasket is wasted and must be replaced. It has been upgraded many times to prevent this from happening. Piss poor design on Chrysler's part.

Old 04-17-03, 11:27 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
Make sure the headgasket is actually leaking.

The head gaskets are known for leakage, but the Camshaft Position Sensor seal is also a known leaker on the 2.0L.

Clean the engine & verify that the leak is actually coming from the head gasket. If it is, you're in for a lot of work. If it's coming from the CMP sensor, it's a 10 minute, $3 repair.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: