brakes lock up 96 kia

Old 04-15-03, 08:23 PM
brakes lock up 96 kia

i have a 1996 kia sephia r.s.1.8 motor. the prob is sometimes but let me emphasize just when ever it gets the notion,you can crank up the car and it;ll go 20 m.p.h. wide open,it acts like your giving gas and holding the brakes at the same time.you can re-crank it 30 minutes later and everything is fine.duh,!!!!!! the front pads and rotors are 3 months old,i done checked the screws that hold the rotors intact and there fine,checked the pads there fine and the tires roll free,looked at the c.v. joints they seem to be fine also.i was told that the transmission has this brain and this might be the prob.is this possible,i have no idea to what it can be if the brakes are fine.could this possibly be my transmission???

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-03, 04:28 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Need more information. See the top of the forum's page and post back more required info.

Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Need more information. See the top of the forum's page and post back more required info.

Joe_F
Visiting Guest

Old 04-16-03, 03:59 PM
didn't know what other info you needed other than i have an auto transmission.

Old 04-16-03, 05:30 PM
next time it happens drive for about 10 -15 minutes and then feel each wheel and see if any is hotter than normal if none are i would suspect the problem is elsewhere.

Old 04-16-03, 05:38 PM
mthomas84
Visiting Guest
If the rim of the wheel is not heating up when the problem is present and you've driven the car a few miles, it's probably not the brakes (unless you're going through pads pretty quick). I had a problem on my left front brake that turned out to be the flex hose attached to the caliper. The wheel would get so hot it smoked and couldn't be touched.
If you've not had the transmission fluid and/or filter screen checked out, you might try that. Otherwise, it could be the fluid pump in the transmission...
Just some ideas from (fun...) problems I've come across chasing similar problems.

Old 04-17-03, 04:47 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Need:

Maintenance history
Mileage
Attempts to fix the problem
Better description of the problem
Has it seen maintenance recently?

etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc....as noted in the "Read here before posting" sticky at the top of the forum page.

Old 04-17-03, 08:10 PM
Starting the car would not have any affect on the brakes...i would be suspect of a fuel or ignition problem.