Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Need a tune up--checklist?

Visiting Guest

04-15-03, 07:27 PM   #1  
doni49
Need a tune up--checklist?

I need to give my car a tune up. I'm comfortable doing this myself--as long as I can get my hands and the tools where needed--but I was just wondering someone could point me in the direction of some kind of a checklist of things I need to check and/or do.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

04-15-03, 07:40 PM   #2  
taxxman2k
Plugs and wires are the bigest portion of this
Check your air filter
maybe some injector cleaner

Visiting Guest

04-15-03, 07:49 PM   #3  
doni49
Thanks.

Those were things I assumed--I just didn't know if there was anything else.

Before I put the new plugs back in, do I need to clean the cylinders or anything like that? Excuse the "green-ness". I've never done this before--although I HAVE done OTHER repairs/maintenance myself.

Last edited by doni49; 04-16-03 at 01:38 PM.

04-15-03, 08:16 PM   #4  
Get the fuel system cleaner - add to gas tank with fillup.

That stuff works wonders. I think it is a must for every tune up.

Dont get the injector cleaner- too weak.
get the Fuel System Cleaner- any brand will do; it is around $9 a bottle.

04-15-03, 09:25 PM   #5  
how many miles is on this car? you should probably change the fuel filter if it hasnt been done recently, the fuel cleaners you put in the gas tank is not something i would recomend doing, should check the belts and hoses to see if they need changed.
if you have an owners manual read it it will give you the recomended intervals or mileage interval and what maintence should be done.

TX

04-16-03, 02:54 AM   #6  
what kind of car?

What knd of car are we talking about ?Many things have changed in a few years.Some cars dont even have distributers now so you dont have caps,rotars,or plug wires.Many newer cars are pretty maintenance free.
My 2003 Toyota is one of them much better then my 79 Chevy Nova.So you see year and type of car is helpfull to know.

Visiting Guest

04-16-03, 03:14 AM   #7  
Joe_F
I agree with BeJay. The owner's manual will have the recommended replacement intervals for everything of concern.

OH

04-16-03, 03:57 AM   #8  
Also while you're under there check all your fluids.

Visiting Guest

04-16-03, 01:37 PM   #9  
doni49
Originally posted by Joe_F
I agree with BeJay. The owner's manual will have the recommended replacement intervals for everything of concern.
Part of the problem is that I bought this car used a year ago--the previous owner must've lost the manual because it wasn't in the glove compartment.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Also for those who asked, it is a 2000 Mitsubishi Mirage 4 Cyl Right now it has 56000 +/- miles.

Visiting Guest

04-16-03, 01:40 PM   #10  
doni49
Re: what kind of car?

Originally posted by michael van
What knd of car are we talking about ?Many things have changed in a few years.Some cars dont even have distributers now so you dont have caps,rotars,or plug wires.Many newer cars are pretty maintenance free.
My 2003 Toyota is one of them much better then my 79 Chevy Nova.So you see year and type of car is helpfull to know.
Year, Make, Model & engine size are listed in my signature.

Visiting Guest

04-16-03, 08:41 PM   #11  
1fireman
I would suggest a new PCV valve. I don't recall what the reccommended interval is, but they are relatively cheap and a breeze to install.

Visiting Guest

04-17-03, 03:37 AM   #12  
Joe_F
Original poster:

Obtain a replacement manual for your vehicle through the sources listed in my "The Basics" post below.

Visiting Guest

04-19-03, 11:57 AM   #13  
doni49
Thanks for all the help everyone.
  • After digging through the trunk in an effort to organize it better, I found that the previous owner had put the owner's manual in the spare tire well. Who knows why they did that!
  • I just came from picking up all the parts for my tune up. I spent less than $30 as compared to the $79 Pep Boys wanted to charge to do it for me.

Anyway--I just wated to say thanks!

Visiting Guest

04-19-03, 05:01 PM   #14  
Joe_F
Good job. Let us know how you make out.

Visiting Guest

04-19-03, 06:16 PM   #15  
doni49
Originally posted by Joe_F
Good job. Let us know how you make out.
She purs like a kitten!

04-19-03, 08:20 PM   #16  
Doni, at 56 thou you should find out if your timing belt needs to be changed. If you have an interferance engine and don't change the belt you could bend valves or worse.

Visiting Guest

04-19-03, 08:46 PM   #17  
doni49

Replay in english please. What is an "interface engine?? How do I find out if I have one? I've never heard this term before.

How do I find out about the timing belt? I don't even know where it is. The only belt I've seen under my hood is the serpentine belt connected to the alternator.

If I find that it DOES need changed, is it difficult?

Thx.

Visiting Guest

04-19-03, 09:29 PM   #18  
Joe_F
An interference engine is one where the tolerances are so tight that if the timing belt breaks while the engine is running, it can bend the valves and cause expensive damage.

On such vehicles, you do not wait for the belt to break. You change it at regular intervals as the owner's manual or service manual states for the reasons noted above.

I suggest you get a copy of the OEM manual from the sources I have listed in "the Basics" (I have the OEM contact information there and what publishers publish for what OEM makers)

You can also go to Gates Rubber Co's website (a famous maker of belts and hoses) and they have which engines are interference and which are not.

Additionally, if you call any parts store, they can look up your application in their timing belt book and it will note if it is inteference or not.

Search this Thread