Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Cougar out of hibernation

Visiting Guest

04-16-03, 11:43 AM   #1  
1fireman
Which tranny flush to do?

Im taking my 1997 Merc cougar out of storage and I am having a few basics done to it.

4.6L V8 about 90k

First the tranny flush and fill. I am finding two options, the high pressure flush where they do not drop the pan and change the filter, or the old fasion drain, and filter change and fill. Any thoughts on which is the better route for my cougar? Keep in mind the history cougars have of weak trannies.

Also I am having a radiator flush and fill and oil change. Any other ideas or good things to do to a car being taken out of storage.

I did run it a few times a week up to "normal" operating temperatures.

Last edited by 1fireman; 04-16-03 at 09:39 PM.

Sponsored Links

04-16-03, 09:12 PM   #2  
Check belts and fuel filter.Maybe air pressure in tires and wiper blades,and lights.

Visiting Guest

04-16-03, 09:18 PM   #3  
1fireman
Did the belts and fuel filter last fall, lights and tire pressure have been done. Wiper blades are a good thought thanks.

What I am really concerned about though is the tranny flush, it is due and I want to get the best one done. When they do that high pressure flush does it drain the torque converter too, and how bout the conventional way? And it just seems odd that they wouldn't drop the pan and change the filter.

Visiting Guest

04-17-03, 03:34 AM   #4  
Joe_F
I believe Fords have a torque converter drain, so a regular drain with a filter and fluid should be fine.

Search this Thread