rough run spectrum

Old 04-16-03, 04:26 PM
KRRII
Visiting Guest
rough run spectrum

I have a 87 chevy spectrum with a 1.6L 2 Barrel 5 speed 227,000 miles. The problem is that when I accelerate the engine boggs down and the car starts bucking. I have to let off the gas a little and it tries to smooth out but the acceleration is real slow. There is not much to start with. I have repaired the converter and checked the vacuum lines and all the more obvious things. The most confusing thing is that it does not do this all the time. I can drive for 5 minutes or 2 days at times and the car will run fine. Then it starts acting up and it may act up for 5 min or 2 days who knows. It will always run fine when I first start out in the mornings or afternoons. I can turn the igntion switch off going down the road and it will clear up sometimes. Any suggestion.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-03, 08:57 PM
1fireman
Visiting Guest
When was the last time the fuel filter was changed? and the pcv valve?

Old 04-17-03, 03:36 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Likely a carburetor problem at this stage and mileage. These carbs are complex nightmares .

Have someone competent go through the carburetor, if everything checks out.

Old 04-17-03, 02:59 PM
KRRII
Visiting Guest
I replaced the fuel filter last week and I have only clean the pvc valve. I have used carb cleaner and sprayed down the carb and it does run better for a while and then it starts acting up again. It has run good for the last 2 trips to work. I am going to get another can of cleaner and spray it down again. Thanks for the reply.

Old 04-17-03, 04:21 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Sounds like an old and tired carburetor to me .