Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Dies at Idle

Visiting Guest

04-17-03, 05:41 PM   #1  
JackMaster
Dies at Idle

Working on a 1991 Ford Tempo AWD, 2.3L, Auto w/AC..

Changed the IAC Valve about 6 months ago and it has run perfectly since. The car now dies at sudden stops, or when letting off the accelerator while power braking. It does this interemittently (not all the time). I also notice when increasing the RPM's (while in park) to 1200 and holding it steady, the RPM's fluctuate up & down 100 RPM, like it is surging. Lastly, the Tachometer needle consistently falls to 0 about every 8 seconds, then returns to 800. Is there anything that anyone can suggest that may cause these issues? What about the IPS?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

04-18-03, 05:13 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Check for vacuum leaks, clean the throttle body and check the IAC again. What brand of IAC was used?

Visiting Guest

04-18-03, 10:48 AM   #3  
JackMaster
Hi Joe,

Thanks for the tips.

IAC was aftermarket purchased from CarQuest....I know, I know....OEM.

04-18-03, 04:00 PM   #4  
Does it do this with the engine cold also?

Visiting Guest

04-18-03, 05:07 PM   #5  
JackMaster
YamahaWolverine....yes it does.

Visiting Guest

04-19-03, 03:40 AM   #6  
Joe_F
Jack:

Not necessarily. You could have asked for, or gotten the wrong part. Double check the OEM# on the original versus the listing in the CQ Engine Controls catalog to be sure you've got the right thing.

04-19-03, 04:27 AM   #7  
Just a quick check, with the engine running, wiggle the harness going from the TPS back to the harness and the connector near the pass side strut tower. Also visually inspect the wires for any damage. These are good for intermittent open in the TPS circuit.

PS TPS = Throttle position sensor located on the side of the throttlebody

Search this Thread