Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

new car dealership how they finance

Visiting Guest

04-18-03, 03:49 AM   #1  
josh1
new car dealership how they finance

Went looking for new car with current incentives with a friend. This prompted a great arguement about new car dealerships.

She says car dearlerships own the cars that are sitting on the lot, and that they go down to bank X and borrow 1 million dollars, to buy 1 million worth of Fords.
when dealer sells the car he gets the money and thats the end of it.

I said shes nuts, No way Ford wants to miss out on finance fees. I say the dealers have a revolving credit limit with the Manufactuers.(probably out of cayman islands co) So Dealer Smith has a 1 mil credit line with Ford, and gets 1 million worth of Fords on his lot. When he sells the car, he then has to pay back that part of the loan+ accrued interest.

We bet on this so please if anyone knows how it "really" works. Let me know! Thanks-Josh

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

04-18-03, 05:08 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Never bothered to look into it, but I would say you are right. I'm sure if you asked the dealer, they would tell you. Shouldn't be anything to hide there.

Visiting Guest

04-18-03, 05:41 AM   #3  
harleyboy
Most new car dealerships have what is known as a "Floor Plan" with a bank. The bank actually owns the cars and the dealer pays interest on those cars until they are sold.

04-18-03, 06:22 AM   #4  
Harleyboys right

And the bank sends their people by at least every month to check VIN,s on their vehicles to make sure everything is acounted for

Larry

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-19-03, 12:08 AM   #5  
I guess it depends. The Dodge dealership I worked at was owned and operated by a multi-millionaire, and he outright bought and paid for his cars on the lot, but he had the $$ to do it.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread