advice on 2 used cars

Old 04-19-03, 05:03 AM
golfnut
Visiting Guest
advice on 2 used cars

Hi to any auto mechanics with used car reliability knowledge.

I am looking to buy a highway beater car for commuting to work. Driving a mini-van is too much on gas. I have narrowed it down to a 1992 Toyota Corolla LE with about 65,000 miles (in great shape), and the other one is a 1999 Hyundai Accent GSi with about 30,000 miles. I know Toyota has always had a good track record for reliability, but I'm not sure if I can get over the Hyundai phobia of the earlier days. I'm leaning towards the Hyundai right now because it's a great looking little car, good on gas, and I have researched a little bit that their reliability that it has come up over the years quite considerably. I know it's still my choice which one to choose and you folk out there can only opinionate. But I would take any expert advice or experience to heart. Thanks - Golfnut

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-03, 11:45 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
The Toyota is a little on the old side, but pretty well screwed together.

The Hyundai is lackluster, skip it. Hyundai has had to boost their warranty coverage to help put aside fears of their former quality debacles.

Have any used vehicle you choose checked out by both a good mechanic (be sure to put it up on a lift to check for unibody damage), and have a CarFax.com report done on it to make sure it's not a rebuilt wreck.

Toyota for me if you MUST have a Japanese car .

Old 04-21-03, 03:19 AM
tstokka
Visiting Guest
go with the hyundai, its got less miles, less time for the previous owner to screw something up.

Old 04-21-03, 06:11 PM
I would go for a good Toyota over a hyundai any day ( I just bought my very first foreign car--a 98 toyota tacoma-got sick of the old car routine)

Anyway, one thing to look into is the warranty coverage. MY friend just bought a 2000 kia, and the manufactures warranty applies to the second owner, even though he is not the original owner, he has a bumper to bumper up to 60k.

If you look into the warranty thing, and find out you are covered for a warranty---well that is something hard to pass up, assuming the toyota will be bought private party without a warranty.