Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Fix/Remanufacture engine or donate car???

Visiting Guest

04-20-03, 06:30 PM   #1  
zokvus6
Fix/Remanufacture engine or donate car???

I have a 1990 Olds Calais that was my mother in laws car. It has 55,000 miles on it and looks good inside an out. The engine just died. A friend looked at it and said there is a hole, from the inside to the outside in the oil pan, as if something pierced it and came out. Oil is all over the driveway .I have been told this may be due to the engine "throwing a rod". The car now literally bounces when attempting to start the engine- it runs 15 seconds then dies. Noisy as can be too. I was wondering where to draw the line with repairing this engine, if this is a candidate for repairing the engine, or maybe should Iget a remanufactured engine put in....but how does one decide whether a major repair and or a remanufactured engine is worth it in an otherwise clean 13 year old car?? Which ones are good? Or should we donate the car to some charity if they wwould even want it. We planned to keep the car- for our son and daughter to share commuting to school so if it can be fixed we'd like to- but only if it makes sense money wise. I would appreciate any help/comments...Thanks.

Sponsored Links

04-20-03, 06:44 PM   #2  
The car blue booked for 2500$. If your block is ruined you will have to buy a whole block, a used one will start at about 200$ and go up to 1000$. If you can keep your block you should be able to rebuild the motor for a resonable amount.

Visiting Guest

04-21-03, 03:47 AM   #3  
Joe_F
That engine is wasted, pitch it (Or it has to be rebuilt).

A Goodwrench engine installed will run about 1500 bucks and will give the best reliability overall. If the car is in good shape, it may be worth it.

The "N" body Calais was a crudely screwed together, lackluster rattle box, so depending on the condition of the vehicle, it may not be worth it.

Visiting Guest

04-21-03, 07:04 AM   #4  
darrell McCoy
Since the car is a freebie, I would go with a remanufactured engine. 1500/2000 depending on a 4 or 6 cyl. If the veh was running, it might bring 2 grand on market. So figure where can you get anither set of wheels for the price of an engine.

Visiting Guest

04-21-03, 02:06 PM   #5  
Joe_F
That is true, although a 1990 Calais is a tough sell for 2k . Those are 1000 dollar cars at best. My 1989 Cavalier with 25k original in good running shape has NO book value on Kbb.com! LOL

Visiting Guest

04-21-03, 03:53 PM   #6  
zokvus6
Today, I looked into getting a remanufactured engine put in it, and was told it would be between $2500 -3000 for a "jasper" engine installed. Seems high to me- I will keep looking for the lower priced ones you mention. I am leery of junkyard engines as they are a real gamble. Would it be possible or worth it then to somehow have my engine fixed. Is that what was referred to about short or long block?and would it work OK if it was fixed up? I feel I am getting more confused

I just put over $1,000 into new tires , heater repair, wires,hoses,etc around Thanksgiving, so I guess I am reluctant to just give up on the car.

The engine has a label on the air cleaner - it is labeled "4 Tech"

Thanks for all your help...

Visiting Guest

04-21-03, 05:22 PM   #7  
Joe_F
Whether they rebuild that one or put in one already rebuilt, the cost is not going to matter much.

Your oil pan has a hole in it, so that's wasted. You likely have major internal failure in the engine if a rod went through the pan.

Short block and long block refer to whether it comes with cylinder heads, accessories, etc.

Either way, you're easily looking at a grand here.

Visiting Guest

04-22-03, 03:22 PM   #8  
zokvus6
Does anyone know a good source for a remanufactured engine? I have seen Motorworks advertised- they seem like a chain- any good??? The Jasper engine I looked into seemed very expensive- like $3000-$3500 total. Where do you get those Goodwrench engines installed- at dealers only?

Mechanic told me today my engine is definitely shot. Threw a rod and engine can't be rebuilt as the part went out through the engine. Suggested a used (junkyard) engine- but I don't want more headaches.

I'd rather get something better than that- but don't want to overspend. Putting $3000 into this car does not seem to make sense.

Visiting Guest

04-22-03, 04:21 PM   #9  
Joe_F
Try ATK North America, but I suspect in the end, the net price will all be about the same.

Again, you are easily looking at 1000-1500 (most likely more) for any rebuilt installed.

Visiting Guest

04-24-03, 09:07 PM   #10  
zokvus6
I am getting prices in the $1900-2300 range for a remanufactured engine installed in this car.

Is that a reasonable price? The lowest was from a place called Motorworks- a chain using Jarco engines????.

The earlier responses indicated more like $1500

I have also had shops say rebulilding my current engine would actually MORE than the remanufactured ones? Like $2500 to rebuild?

Visiting Guest

04-25-03, 05:49 AM   #11  
Joe_F
Since this is not a rare, numbers matching type situation, get another engine that has already been rebuilt.

Again, you will find rebuilt engines (the part) to be in the same range. It's the labor that's a killer. Depending on the source, you're looking at 1000 to 1500. More like 1500.

That is why cars like this are picked up for beans when the engine goes bad. They are cheap to start with

Visiting Guest

04-28-03, 08:38 PM   #12  
zokvus6
Just to follow up, I ended up having a Recon brand remanufactured engine installed in the car, along with a new water pump and a reconditioned oill pan installed. As was mentioned, the cost was OK - if you compare it to what new cars run these days. Feel like I just bought my car again, in a way- but it has a better engine (I hope!) At least I know what I have here.

Does anyone know the reputation of Recon engines??

Visiting Guest

04-29-03, 05:51 AM   #13  
Joe_F
I believe they are fairly good. I have seen them advertise in professional trade magazines like Counterman.

Visiting Guest

05-06-03, 03:24 PM   #14  
zokvus6
Thank you

This car now runs great! THANK YOU for all of the answers and advice on this car situation.

Visiting Guest

05-07-03, 03:47 AM   #15  
Joe_F
Good to hear we saved another N body from the scrapheap

Lol

Search this Thread