Windshield replacement on a Jeep Wrangler

Old 04-21-03, 05:35 AM
cwharb
Visiting Guest
Windshield replacement on a Jeep Wrangler

First thanks for the help.
Jeep Wrangler (TJ) 2002

Now on to my story

My windshield was hit from the inside and now I have a windshield that is undrivable. It was hit above and to the left of my stering wheel and there is about a hockey puck sized star burst there then I have many many cracks that run the length of the windshield from left to right and top to bottom.

I have found a windshield I can buy for $178 dollars uninstalled and I was wondering how hard it would be to do it myself. It does not look to bad to do, as a Jeep Wrangler windsheild is flat and only about 2' X 4' rectangle. I can get a replacement seal pretty cheap.

I was going to remove the Whole windshield assembly from the jeep to make it easier. Now from this point I have some solid ideas on how to do it but I was wondering if anyone has done it themselves or if they know of a site where I could get some info on it.

I have done a search here but nothing comes up on "jeep windshields" some info does come up on "windshields" but nothing that applies to my replacement type. I have searched the web and I have only found one site to give some instructions but they were not to indepth.

Again thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-03, 05:54 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Glass work is not DIY work. It must be installed correctly as the windshield is part of the crash protection in a vehicle.

Have it installed professionally.

Old 04-21-03, 02:23 PM
cwharb
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

I found a glass co. (Safelite Auto Glass) that will come to my house and replace it with a life time guarantee. They started out at $303.68 then I called and found a spot that would replace it for $220.00 but I had to take my Jeep to them, but saving $80 hey I can drive it one way no problem. I called Safelite back and said don't worry about it and she said let me see if we can beat that price and about 5 minutes on hold later they came back and said $215.00 and they still are coming to my house to replace it.

I just wanted to post to make sure everyone shops around before they settle on the first price.

So I will have it done that way Joe_F, I did not know that the windshield would be that vital in a Jeep Wrangler.

Old 04-21-03, 05:26 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
The windshield is critical in the crash system of ANY vehicle as if it to pop out from improper installation, it could cost your life.

Search this Thread