question on a/c-idle surging

Old 04-21-03, 07:16 PM
question on a/c-idle surging

Finally broke down and picked up a used 54k mile 98 toyota tacoma in near mint condit from a dealer. ----2.4 Liter 4 cylinder automatic. Unsure of previous maintance, but truck is very clean.

Anyway, just a curious question. On all cars with a/c that I have owned, it is common to hear the a/c compressor come on and off while the car is running. This truck is no different. When cold, the truck has a slightly higher idle. (I am not used to automatics) If I have the a/c on when the engine is cold, on occasion when the compressor kicks on, the truck responds by avery slight increase in idle which causes the truck to actually jump forward ever so slightly even though my foot is on the brake.

What is normal for an automatic air conditioned toyota?? Is this normal, or should it not be doing it? It is not severe, just annoying. I do have a warranty on it, but don't want to cough up a $50 inspection for what may or may not be an issue.

Thanks...Jeremy

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-03, 03:44 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
It will raise the idle say 50 rpm or more, check the tach when you turn on the A/C.

I don't think there is a problem.

Old 04-22-03, 06:07 AM
pistonfister
Visiting Guest
Sounds odd that the vehicle would actually jump forward. It is definetly normal to have an increase in idle though. I bet the dealer will tell you npf "No Problems Found". That will be $80.00 dollars please

Old 04-22-03, 09:28 AM
Baldguy
Visiting Guest
Toyota A/C

Not sure if this is related directly to your idle deal or not....

I used to have an 88 toyota pickup stick with A/C. Bought it new. The A/C would surge on an off repeatedly while sitting at a stop light. I'm talking about on/off/on/off/on/off forever.

Took it back to the dealer and they couldn't find the problem. About 5 years later, I finally got fed up and researched the problem. Not sure if you have this on your injected engine or not, but right beside my carb was a screw adjustment for the idle advance for the A/C. Once I adjusted this to just slightly kick up the idle when the compressor kicked on my problem went away.

I'm wondering if you have a similar adjustment?

Also, buy the shop manual. I did and it was the best 60 bucks I'd spent on a car.

Good luck.

Old 04-22-03, 09:48 AM
That surge with the a/c on is normal. It is ECM controlled so you cannot adjust it like the older ones.

Larry

Old 04-22-03, 04:51 PM
ok, thanks-----is the 2.4L that I have aka a newer version of the old 22r??

Old 04-22-03, 05:30 PM
Really shares nothing with the old 22R, totally new design.

BTW: their was a new ECM with different idle speed parameters to close the speed diff between A/C and reg idle for the '95-97 2.4L.
You have the newer ECM in '98.

Larry