Flap to switch heat/dash vent

Old 04-22-03, 07:41 AM
Flap to switch heat/dash vent

I have a 91 Chevy full size P/U. The door (flap) that regulates which vent heat or A/C blows out is not working. The lever on the dash moves but it either blows out defrost or on the floor. When the lever is set to vent it blows out on the floor. I suspect its the door (flap) that is not working properly and should start there. My question is how is the best way to get to it? It sounds like its in the lower part of my dash, but I am not sure how to get to it. I dont really see how to remove the dash or parts of it to get to what I need. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-03, 09:01 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
More than likely it is the vacuum selector switch on the back of the A/C controller. That would regulate where the air goes through.

See any GM dealer or Delco distributor for a replacement.

Old 04-22-03, 10:56 AM
I am not doubting your knowledge but I am not convinced I have a vacuum selector switch. Even with the automobile off I can move the lever and hear the door (flap) move and feel resistance like I am moving something. I didnt specify earlier but this did not have A/C from the manufacturer. I had it installed a few years ago. Is it still likely a Vacuum switch? It a plain W/T model.

Old 04-22-03, 12:20 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
If it's not factory OEM, you'd have to contact the maker of the A/C unit (American Air, York, etc) for the needed parts. GM will only service what is factory equipped by them.

Not sure how your system is rigged up, depends on the model of it.

Old 04-22-03, 02:06 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
From your description, you may just have a manual cable control system. If my memory serves me right, seems you can access the cable adjustment if you remove the glove box, seems the cable is right on top or front of the fiberglass duct work. Only a few screws, might want to check that out. Again an after market A/C, you dont know whats there. Has it always done this? A quick looksy and you should be able to determine, Vac or Man. Cables or hoses.