Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Belt runs off idler tension pulley

Visiting Guest

04-23-03, 09:28 AM   #1  
sparkyo
Belt runs off idler tension pulley

I have a 1990 Pontiac Grand Prix with 3.1 engine. Just replaced idler tensioner pulley and belt runs approx. 1/4"-3/8" off pulley. Had same problem with old tensioner and new tensioner has not corrected problem. Belt is being worn away on outside edge. Any help on where to look would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

04-23-03, 10:45 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Have a look at Alldata.com to see if there are any bulletins on this problem.

Sure you are using the right belt? How's the condition of the water pump?

Visiting Guest

04-23-03, 04:36 PM   #3  
darrell McCoy
Do you by chance know if the P/S pump, Water pump, Alt or A/C comp. has ever been replaced? Something is mis-aligned. Are you using a ribbed belt. Since the old belt has run in this condition,
for any length of time, doubtful if it would run tru with a new tensioner. Check your mountings and alignments.

Visiting Guest

04-24-03, 04:51 AM   #4  
sparkyo
I think I may have found the problem. The crankshaft harmonic balancer seemed to be out farther than the rest of the pulley assemblies. In playing with it I could actually pry it outward with the crankshaft bolt still tight. I tried to tap it back in place, but that has made it worse to where you can see how out of balance it is when the car is running. From what I've read this seems to be a two-piece [?] balancer with some type of rubber isolator sandwiched between the main crank pulley and the piece under it. Won't know for sure until I get it off. Will let you know how I make out. Thanks.

Visiting Guest

04-24-03, 07:09 AM   #5  
Joe_F
That would do it. Sounds wasted.

Search this Thread