Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol = Good E-Test

Visiting Guest

04-23-03, 07:28 PM   #1  
89LSC4ME
Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol = Good E-Test

I have heard that running Isopropyl Alcohol instead of Methol Hydrate works wonderful for passing the E-Test. I have heard that the Methol gums up O2 sensors of injected cars, but Alcohol don't. I have used the methol hydrate and can vouch for it, I'd rather use alcohol if it is better. I will try it anyway I'm due in 1 month. And yes I do a regular tune up, oil every 4,000k every emmission I replace plugs wires, cap, rotor, egr and pcv if applicable. 02'sensors every 80,000klm's. I run a 92 Plymouth Sundance sometimes it still has trouble passing legit. Just thought I'd give my input.

Sponsored Links

OH

04-24-03, 04:23 AM   #2  
Are you adding this to your gas or what? Sounds like snake oil story but ya never know I guess. I've seen smoking pieces of crap pass and seemingly good running cars fail. I've failed at one and drove 5 miles to another and passed with flying colors. I think the E-Test is a bunch of garbage anyway.

Visiting Guest

04-24-03, 07:12 AM   #3  
Joe_F
What are the readings on the test? My friend had problems with his 1991 Shadow 2.2 which is the same car as yours.

We tuned it up, changed the O2 sensor and verified the rest of the sensors with a scan tool.

Previously he had problems, this year it flew right through.

The moral of the story: Maintenance, not snake oil leads to a good running and low emission vehicle. Period.

NJ

04-24-03, 11:04 AM   #4  
I have some stuff at home that I added to my Typhoon as well as my GN to get them to pass. Both are modified and would not pass emissions otherwise. The additive worked fine a number of times (4, actually). Last time out, the guy at the service station called me at work to ask me what I did do the 'Phoon. It had failed BAD the day before, and passed with flying colors the next day after I added the stuff.

I can't remember the name of the stuff - I'll check when I get home. A quick search on the web didn't come up with anything other than a CRC product called "Guaranteed to Pass". Says you'll pass your emissions test guaranteed.

HOWEVER, an unmodified vehicle - especially a modern one - should pass without any trouble if maintained properly. The additives will probably work and buy you some time, but they're just a band-aid.

Jim

NJ

04-27-03, 06:27 PM   #5  
Found it - it's called Fuelon Power. Guranteed to pass emissions or your money back. Got it at the local auto parts store.

Jim

Visiting Guest

04-28-03, 05:49 AM   #6  
Joe_F
Still no replacement for regular maintenance as you have said .

04-28-03, 09:21 AM   #7  
I've found that dry gas, which is basically alcohol will help with an emmissions test. I always dump in a few cans before testing.

Visiting Guest

04-28-03, 09:23 AM   #8  
Joe_F
I've found that regular maintenance over everything else makes the car fly through on the first try and delivers better fuel economy, power and cleaner emissions .

If the vehicle is running properly, it should pass no problem.

Search this Thread