Engine replacement?

Old 04-24-03, 07:45 AM
chiefbrass
Visiting Guest
Question Engine replacement?

I have recently been told by a local mechanic that my engine needs to be replaced. I have a 1996 Chevy Suburban, 350, 5.7 liter, Vortec engine. It runs just fine when it starts. The problem is in the starter. I've had problem after problem with the starter spinning, grinding and sometimes starting. The mechanic showed me a crack across the outside mounting bolt hole for the starter and said that this crack is not allowing the starter to be mounted properly and since the crack is in the block, the only real fix is to replace the engine. I've had the starter repaired twice (new starter drive and solenoid) and the second time the end of the starter housing that meets the flywheel just broke off, after a couple of successful starts! I really do not want to replace the engine because of this and would like to try a new starter. What do you think? Do I really need to replace the engine?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-03, 10:07 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I don't think this could be properly repaired, so engine replacement may be the only option here .

Old 04-24-03, 01:20 PM
There is a repair, but itís likely to cost as much as a new block. You should find a machine shop that is very experienced in engine work and ask them to patch/TIG weld your bolt hole. Then machine it back to factory specifications. But the engine will have to be pulled either way, so with a 96 you might be ahead if you just buy a new block and rotating assembly and put your intake on it.