Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Replaced head gasket - now a valve tick!

MI

04-24-03, 01:22 PM   #1  
Replaced head gasket - now a valve tick!

My car has been silent the past six months while I replaced the head gasket plus some other work. Yesterday and today I fired the car up and gave the car some exercise. To my dismay there's a definite and distinct valve tick (just one) that will not go away. This valve tick is just as loud driving as idling. It was NOT there before I replaced the head gasket. No other work was done to the head (not enough miles). Oil pressure is good and normal. I'm sure the noise isn't an exhaust leak.

What do I do now? The noise is embarassing on an otherwise fine running car.

Sponsored Links

04-24-03, 01:24 PM   #2  
You did not state what the make and model of it is, and therefore we dont know what kind of setup the head are. But good general advice is to start by checking your you valve lash.

MI

04-24-03, 04:48 PM   #3  
Oops..

I should have known better. It's a 1995 Mercedes E320, 58,000 miles. No pushrods. The design has a cam over hydraulic buckets over valve.

Visiting Guest

04-24-03, 07:57 PM   #4  
Joe_F
Any bulletins from Alldata.com on it?

04-24-03, 10:21 PM   #5  
I think you changed your valve timing or lash when you were doing your head job.

Search this Thread