Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Removing the odor of gasoline

Visiting Guest

04-24-03, 04:37 PM   #1  
greymatches
Removing the odor of gasoline

I had to get gas for the mower. After I filled the (approved) container, I wiped it down and placed it in my trunk.
Somewhere on the winding road and 2 minutes it took me to get home, a little gas spilled (don't ask me how--the caps were secure). I had a blue paper towel (the kind for cars and everything else--not an ordinary paper towel) and that is how I noticed it.
Now I have the odor of gas in the trunk which drifts up into the car. The car is less than a year old!! :-(
Does anyone know how I can get rid of the odor? I've tried leaving the trunk open on a sunny day but it didn't do too much.
Help!
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

04-24-03, 05:37 PM   #2  
darrell McCoy
Mean stuff.
If it spilled on the carpet in the trunk, you need to remove the carpet ASAP. The longer it is left in, the more the interior will absorb the smell. Leave it out a few days, maybe brush in some baking soda a few times and vacuum out. Leave it out as long as possible. Then maybe some febreeze? Inside car smell will eventually go away but it must be left open at every opportunity to air out. They may make a commercial neutralizer. Sorry, thats all I can suggest. Someone else may have a good solution. Gas has a funny way of leaking from capped containers.

Visiting Guest

04-24-03, 07:54 PM   #3  
Joe_F
I agree with Darrell.

Visiting Guest

04-25-03, 05:06 PM   #4  
greymatches
Gas spill

Thanks for the tips ya'll.
The baking soda got it out. I guess the blue towel soaked up the major portion of it.
From now on I'll make sure I put the container in a heavy plastic bag before transporting!

Search this Thread