blown oil filter gasket

Old 04-24-03, 06:23 PM
blown oil filter gasket

HI; Ihave a 1987 pontiac bonn. V6 THE OIL FILTER 'S GASKET keeps blowing out ,an oil sprays every where.Thought it was a bad filter so I put a new one on it did the same thing with the new filter. had the oil changed lasts week, so I know it was not the filter .Is there ablockage some where?

thanks mike ray

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-03, 07:14 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
Mike: Is it possible that an old gasket is still on the block, thus 2 gaskets? Also are you using premium filters? Lube gasket with oil before installation and do not over tighten. You might want to try a hand held pressure guage and see what the pressure is. Remote Possibility you have a bad oil bypass regulator/valve.
Seems those filters will go about 125PSI or so before blowing gaskets or seams or deforming.

Old 04-24-03, 07:26 PM
Verify that you are using the correct filter. What number and brand filter did you use and what's the engine size?

Old 04-24-03, 07:52 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree with both posters.

Old 04-26-03, 06:54 PM
1987 pontiac bonn. V6 3.8L oil filter gasket

hi; I put on a new oil filter and made sure there was no old gasket left when I put on the new filter, it blow out time I started the engine I know the gasket was seated and the filter was not lose when I started the engine

thanks; mike

Old 04-26-03, 07:21 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
Mike: I would start giving some serious thought to the oil pressure bypass valve. If it is real slow to open or if it is stuck shut, there goes the filter. Most engines are made to operate 40-60 pounds, filters are good for 100-125 pounds, so figure that.
Way to much pressure.

Old 04-26-03, 08:03 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I'm with Darrell.

Old 04-26-03, 09:20 PM
Are you sure it isn't coming out of the oil pressure sending unit which is located right near the filter on these engines?