Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1997 Pontiac Grand AM SE fuel problem?

Visiting Guest

04-26-03, 11:30 AM   #1  
chiefbrass
1997 Pontiac Grand AM SE fuel problem?

Let's get back to Randel's post from 2-21-03. It appears as though we have the same kind of car, same problem. Mine is also a 1997 Grand AM SE, 2.4 liter Quad 4 engine, auto tranny. Joe F, I've read some of your posts and replies, but here goes. The car is very hard to start cold or hot. It finally starts after several tries. I can always hear the fuel pump come on. Most of the time, the car drives great after it starts, but every now and then, when you touch the accelerator, the car just dies and it takes several attempts to get it started back. You could be in the middle of an intersection coming out of a turn and then your dead and at the mercy of the traffic flow! I do need to let you know that my 17 year old son drives this car most of the time and he is a habitual low fuel level driver, which may tell you something. I tried to change the fuel filter, but I broke the clips off the quick-connect line fitting and I don't know how to get it off. What are my/our possibilities here?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

04-26-03, 08:35 PM   #2  
Joe_F
There are special tools for disconnecting those quick connects. You need to get one from an auto parts store. Autozone will probably rent you one.

Again, you must refer back to the basics. How's the fuel pressure? Ignition system? Those Quad 4 type engines are bad for coil tower breakage and voltage leaks.

The Grand Am in front of me in the emission inspection station failed three straight times and it sure sounded like a misfire to me. Imagine the look on that guys face when my 84 Oldsmobile 88 with triple the mileage flew through that same test with ease putting out the numbers his GA should have. LOL

Search this Thread