Automotive

Old 04-27-03, 06:49 AM
lindy21631
Visiting Guest
dead battery

I have a 1988 Chevy Silverado pick-up,and the new battery won't hold a charge.The truck has been rarely used.Once a week for 8 yrs.I don't know where to start to look for what is draing this battery, it's only a week old.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-03, 07:38 AM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
How far is this once a week drive? You do not mention what power equip veh has. I have found(with keys out of ign) by using a 12 volt bulb or tester between the pos post and pos cable, you can perhaps narrow the problem down. If the bulb/tester has a faint glow this is normally common. But if you have a bright glow, then some thing is amiss. Start pulling fuses one at a time untill the brightnes no longer appears. You might find the culprit. Other than that, you may have a bad new battery or perhaps a leaky alternator. Or any other power equip part. If it was OK before the new battery, chances are either new battery is bad or has never had a full charge to begin with. Are you sure interior lights are not staying on or perhaps brake lites. Either will sap a battery in short time, especially if it is not fully charged. Electronics has a certain amount of slight drain all the time. Even with key out of ignition.

Old 04-27-03, 08:59 AM
lindy21631
Visiting Guest
The drive is about 10 miles to the dump,or maybe 30 to the lumber store it varies,but still not many miles.The new battery was purchased because of the same problem.As far as power equipment, it has power windows and locks,if thats what you mean.The alternator can drain a battery with the engine not running?I can jump the truck,and run it for 10 minutes,and it will start right back up.But it won't hold a charge over night.

Last edited by lindy21631; 04-27-03 at 09:52 AM.
Old 04-27-03, 02:01 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Have you done an alternator output test? See my "The Basics".

Old 04-27-03, 05:28 PM
lindy21631
Visiting Guest
Well I didn't have anything to test the alternator output.I did jump start the truck,ran it for 10 minutes,started it back up with no jump.I then unhooked the positive cable from the battery,turned the headlights on,and the engine shut off like turning off a switch.I'm pretty sure it is the alternator.What do you think?

Old 04-28-03, 05:53 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Removing the cable with the engine running is a sure fire way to waste the diodes in the alternator. (if you haven't already).

As I instructed the first time, do an output test as I have it in my Basics below. Tell us what you find.

Old 04-28-03, 06:55 AM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
sometime if you dont follow instructions, you are inviting more problems than you have. If you do not understand instructions, then you may need some on hand help with diagnosis. I am quite sure the existing problem is fairly simple, it may take a little time to actually pin it down to the cause. You need a game plan or some type of systematic, by the numbers procedure. Just go easy and take it step by step.

Old 04-28-03, 09:21 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

I agree.