Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Rounded head on strut lower pinch bolt

Visiting Guest

04-27-03, 01:46 PM   #1  
ignernt
Rounded head on strut lower pinch bolt

Just as the title says. I'm removing my struts and the lower pinch bolt head is rounded off. This is the first I've removed it, so it must've been done the last time work was done on the struts. My first thought was to use a set of vice-grips, but it's in there really tight and they're just rounding the bolt of worse. What else can I do?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

04-27-03, 01:50 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Have an impact gun? Those things work wonders .

Visiting Guest

04-27-03, 02:01 PM   #3  
ignernt
Nope, no impact gun. What could it do on a rounded head? Do you think I could "borrow" one from Sears?

04-27-03, 02:12 PM   #4  
I would get a stud remover, one that you drive down on the bolt head and then remove with a breaker bar.

Visiting Guest

04-27-03, 02:26 PM   #5  
ignernt
Where would I get one? Your typical advance/autozone?

Also I think I should say the reason why I'm replacing my struts is because I hit a huge pothole, which pretty much did that strut in. Could this impact have bent the bolt in question? I really can't tell.

Visiting Guest

04-27-03, 04:06 PM   #6  
Gomer-techimo
craftsman makes some nifty items
http://www.sears.com/sr/product/summ...id=00952162000

dunno if the local sears will have them on the shelf tho.

Visiting Guest

04-27-03, 04:37 PM   #7  
ignernt
Thanks... but doesn't it figure that the head on the bolt is 15mm? Do easy-outs work? I went and got some B'Laster and tried to get it off with vise-grips again. Didn't work of course! I've about had it with this.

Visiting Guest

04-28-03, 05:54 AM   #8  
Joe_F
Might be a good time to invest in one . I used mine yesterday to do my friend's fuel pump on his 1991 Shadow and they were a lifesaver!

Search this Thread