93 Cavalier won't start

Old 04-28-03, 09:13 AM
Buzzjockey
Visiting Guest
93 Cavalier won't start

I've got a '93 chevy Cavalier with a 3.1L v6. The starter is not engaging at all. This was very sudden, It started fine three or four times during the day and then nothing. Is there a fusable link or a fuse to the solenoid? I tried jumping the car just in case but this had no effect.

Please help

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-03, 09:21 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Check the connections to the starter and battery. They must be clean, tight, and free of corrosion. Correct as needed.

Barring that, tap on the starter body with a hammer. If it now starts, the starter is wasted. Replace it with an AC Delco rebuilt.

Old 04-28-03, 10:24 AM
Buzzjockey
Visiting Guest
Connections to the battery and starter look good. It is acting like the starter is not getting any voltage.

Old 04-28-03, 11:21 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Do you know for sure? Do the headlights work? How about the warning lamps?

If they do, the starter is wasted in all likelihood. Have you tried to tap on the starter and see if now spins?

Old 04-28-03, 11:30 AM
Buzzjockey
Visiting Guest
The battery was showing 13 volts and everything has plenty of power, radio, headlights etc..... I did not get a chance to check that the solenoid was getting power with my DVM as I could not reach it. The car is at a fast food joint near my home and I am getting ready to go and try to get it started again. When I turn the key I get nothing ,no click or anything. Like a bad ignition switch or something. I am going to try and engage the starter with a screwdriver and go from there.

Old 04-28-03, 12:18 PM
Buzzjockey
Visiting Guest
I was able to start the car with a screwdriver. This means the starter and solenoid are ok but it won't crank when I turn the key.
Any Ideas?

Old 04-28-03, 12:28 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Check your wiring from the switch to the starter.

Old 04-28-03, 12:57 PM
JSStarkey1
Visiting Guest
Check the ignition switch, it may have slipped down the collumn.

Old 04-28-03, 12:58 PM
Buzzjockey
Visiting Guest
The wiring looks ok. Is there a nuetral saftey switch or a hidden fusable link somewhere? Or could this be a problem with the ignition switch?

Old 04-28-03, 01:26 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
The neutral safety switch I believe is on the tranny. If it starts in neutral, the switch is bad, replace it.

Check a wiring diagram (use autolibrary.org or get a 25 dollar annual Alldata.com subscription) to see the fusible link location.

Old 04-28-03, 03:33 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
Still might be solenoid. I would go for that or the safety swx. You got to check connections, cant tell by looking.

Old 04-28-03, 06:37 PM
Buzzjockey
Visiting Guest
I've checked all the connections I can find and all are good. Whatever is wrong gave no warning at all.

Old 04-28-03, 06:45 PM
JSStarkey1
Visiting Guest
Check the ignition switch. It may be bad or out of adjustment. GMs are bad about coming loose & slipping down the collumn