Starting problems

Old 04-28-03, 12:36 PM
Starting problems

I have a 93 Chevy w/t truck. 4.3 v-6 auto 70K. When attempting to start the engine. I turn the key and sometimes I get a click. Sometimes it starts. If it doesnt start right away, I must turn the key 4 -5 times before it will start, Today I changed the positve
cable leading from the battery to the starter soleinoid, cleaned off grounding area for starter against the engine block. I also pulled the starter and had it checked by auto store. It checked OK. Put it all together and no change. Sometimes it will start 3-6 times in a row ,some times not at all. Only after 4 times trying it will kick over. The starter is not new , but tested good. Dont know where to go next. Ignition switch ??

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-03, 12:51 PM
JSStarkey1
Visiting Guest
Check the ignition switch down on the collumn. it may be worn out but may just need adjustment. I have had to adjust several GMs, they seem to have a habit of coming loose...

Old 04-28-03, 01:27 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
True.

Old 04-28-03, 02:37 PM
ignition adjustment ?

Didnt know ignition switch had adjustments. How do I go about adjusting ignition switch ???

Old 04-28-03, 05:53 PM
JSStarkey1
Visiting Guest
You generally just loosen the nuts holding it on & slide it up or down the collumn. you use very slight movements when sliding & usually slide it up. Its trial & error. Move it slightly & turn the key to check possition.

Old 04-29-03, 05:54 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Check autolibrary.org to see if they have the adjustment and test specs.