Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Random\Multiple missfire

Visiting Guest

04-28-03, 12:45 PM   #1  
JSStarkey1
Random\Multiple missfire

I have a 99 ford f-250 superduty v-10 with coil over plug. I am getting DTC P0300: Random\Multiple Cylinder Missfire Detected. The book (could only find Chiltons) is useless on this subject. Where do I start looking for this prob???

Less than 5000m on new engine. 153k on truck.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

04-28-03, 01:33 PM   #2  
Joe_F
I believe Ford has had problems with the coils on this truck, see Alldata.com if there's any TSB's on your problem.

I would guess a bad coil just by your description. How does the vehicle run?

I also suggest pitching the Chilton in favor of an Alldata.com subscription or an OEM manual.

Visiting Guest

04-28-03, 08:09 PM   #3  
JSStarkey1
Joe, went to alldata & got script. It lists stuck egr & cam pos sensor as possible causes. A stuck egr would give other codes as well which leaves the cmp. I can't find how to test it. Any idea? The cmp was not replaced with the engine, they put the original back. Could that cause the problem? Trk has 153k & engine has about 3k. & yes I wimped & paid ford to replace it, I did not want to take the cab apart in the driveway...

Visiting Guest

04-29-03, 05:52 AM   #4  
Joe_F
I'd change the cam sensor for sure. It is probably your problem and they DO go bad on Fords of this era.

I'm sure Ford has updated the parts several times against the original.

Visiting Guest

04-29-03, 04:31 PM   #5  
JSStarkey1
I am now also getting P0306, Cylinder 6 Missfire Detected

04-29-03, 04:49 PM   #6  
Swap #6 coil assembly to another cylinder and see if the misfire moves with it.If so you need a coil.

04-30-03, 06:55 PM   #7  
If i read your post right you had Ford do the engine work and all the dealers i've ever worked in gaurantee their work for at the least 1 year or 12000 miles,so if that's the case i'd let them figure it out.One thing that you might ask whomever put the engine in is if they cleared the computer system of all previuos codes,that maybe the old engine had recorded.If a dealer is doing the work they have a machine or computer actually called a WDS, that can be hooked to the truck and it will show the misfire as it happens and pinpoint it relatively easy if they know how to use it correctly.

Search this Thread