Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Starter problems also

Visiting Guest

04-29-03, 08:20 AM   #1  
eyox1
Starter problems also

My fiance has a 1990 Geo Metro. Sorry I don't know the engine size off the top of my head. When you go to start it it just clicks - like the battery is dead. After you try a while it'll eventually start, the problem is getting worse and it can take him 10 min or so to start the car. We took it to a sho pand was told the starter had a dead spot in it. Which I realize it could be. But I don't know if I trust the guy - I just get an 'off' feeling about it. I'm wondering what we should start replacing first, or try first. I was wondering if it could just be the battery terminals, but all the electrics(lights, radio) work fine when the ignition is ON(engine still off). And also, would the Starter Selenoid be something seperate, or do they come as just one piece, and woul this be where the problem is. Also, if it is the Starter, is there anything else I need to replace at the same time??

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

04-29-03, 09:11 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Check all connections for corrosion, tightness and cleanliness. If that checks out, pull the starter out and have it benchtested.

If it fails, buy a rebuilt starter. Yes, the mechanic is correct.

Visiting Guest

04-29-03, 09:16 AM   #3  
eyox1
Thanks.

Search this Thread