Itermittent engine squeal

Old 04-28-03, 11:17 PM
LeSabreDriver
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Itermittent engine squeal

Ok, I have a 1998 Buick LeSabre just over 100,000 mi. 3.8 V-6 There is a squealing that seems to increase with speed and driving. Took it in today, mechanic originally thought it was power steering pump - not so. Noise continued when serp belt off. Mech. removed main cap for engine oil filler and it stopped. Starts again upon replacing cap. He checked air filter and hose, found nothing irregular. Replaced pcv valve and for a little bit it was only doing it upon starting for about 2-3 seconds. But later today it is back, though somewhat milder. Any ideas? Thanks.

Old 04-29-03, 05:43 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Check alldata.com for any known bulletins.

Old 04-29-03, 11:53 AM
LeSabreDriver
Visiting Guest
Talking Squeal Solved!

Problem solved by a very kind - and knowledgable Buick service tech. He saw right away that the previous mechanic had replaced the pcv with one that was a piece of - well you know. Since it was after market and not GM - no o-ring - and it was broken on top of that. Voila! there was the squeal. Something to say for quality parts, no doubt. Thanks for your quick reply. Cheers.

Old 04-29-03, 01:15 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
For GM equip, I always recommend genuine GM parts/ACDelco.
May be a little costlier up front but end results are well worth the extra money. Quality cars deserve quality parts.

Old 04-29-03, 01:18 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
True, but Delco's quality has slipped of late .

I have bought AC Delco water pumps only to get Carter in the box. I have bought AC Delco thermostats only to get Stant in the box. The battery cables that Delco sells for my Pontiac look NOTHING like the originals.

It depends on the product line...certain Delco products have become VERY disappointing .

Old 04-29-03, 02:38 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
Joe:
This is true, maybe its the feeling of confidence tho when you see the a/c-delco stamped on the box?? Anyway, I have used A/C filters forever. No's 47 and 52. Got some a while back and the top had a different configuration. Asked dealer what going on, he said A/C had a couple manufacturers for their filters.. Design depended on who ever made them. Myself I dont care for all the changes in parts. I am leary when the new part is not like the old part. Maybe I am to darn old to accept a lot of the new??? Like 180 bucks for a new leather head rest/restraint. (TBS/warranty/.. 124.00 from GM Parts direct. I gotta be in the wrong business.

Old 04-29-03, 05:17 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Because AC Delco isn't making them, Delphi Automotive is and Delco is just a marketin arm .

Yes, there have been some changes. PF47's were made in England for a while too.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: