Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1993 Plymouth,Acclaim

Visiting Guest

04-29-03, 10:53 AM   #1  
slade
1993 Plymouth,Acclaim

Hi:I recently had a problem with my fuel pump.For some unknown reason it stopped pumping gas to the carborator.I replaced it with a new one,but after several days the new one stopped working also,took the new one off again,and ,put the old one back on it worked for a few days,and stopped working again.The mechanic put another carborator on the car,and exchanged the new fuelpump,for another new fuelpump it worked fine for a few days,but the new pump stopped working again.The mechanic replaced the new fuel pump with the old one again,he also put a new gasline filter on,that was about three days ago,everything seems fine,so far.I won't know for sure,just have to wait,and see what happens,meanwhile,eversince the fuel pump started acting up,when ever I turn the heater fan on in the car I get a strong smell of exhaust fumes in side the car.The mechanic put a new muffler on,because it had a hole in it,he also replaced the donut gasket up on the manifold,he checked the rest of the pipe,and everything else is fine.There's no holes in the floor of the car,or in the trunk,none of the hoses are leaking,but i still get the smell of exhaust fumes inside the car when ever I turn on the heater fan,when I turn off the heater fan there's no smell.I wonder can someone tell me what the problem is with my car,really appreciate it.Thanks. Slade.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

04-29-03, 11:27 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Take it to someone that knows how to diagnose problems, not replace parts! That's a start.

The fuel pressure must be checked to see if there is a problem with the fuel system or the electrical system (such as the ASD relay).

This vehicle has a throttle body fuel injected motor, no carburetor.

Visiting Guest

04-29-03, 12:52 PM   #3  
slade
Trottle body

Thanks for the reply Joe,really appreciate.Sorry about the carbourator.The mechanic did replace the Trottle Body (mother board) he also put a pressure gauge on the gass line with a hose,and put the pressure gauge on the front seat.He took the car for a drive,the psi. would drop back to zero when the pump started acting up.He had to keep tapping the gass paddle lightly to keep the car moving,if he tried pushing down on the gass paddle with direct pressure the car would shut off.Why am I getting the exhaust fumes in the car when I turn on the heater fan? Thanks.

Visiting Guest

04-29-03, 01:16 PM   #4  
Joe_F
Bail out and get the car away from this guy. He hasn't a clue what he's doing in my belief.

Seek an ASE certified shop that has the capability to diagnose the problem and find the solution that will make the car run right again. A fuel hose could be loose or the throttle body could be loose, a lot of possibilities.

The throttle body itself never goes bad, there's virtually nothing in there (aside from the fuel injector and regulator) that would ever need replacing. There's probably 50% fewer moving parts in a throttle body fuel injected car versus a carbureted one.

A poor quality replacement fuel pump is a possibility, as well as other problems such as a bad ASD (fuel pump) relay, wiring problem, mechanical problem, etc.

I just did a fuel pump on a similar Chrysler, a 1991 Shadow this past weekend which belongs to my friend from college, but we used proper diagnostic procedure before determining that the pump WAS indeed bad!

Visiting Guest

04-29-03, 02:04 PM   #5  
slade
Thanks

Thanks Joe,really appreciate your response.If,and when it acts up again,I will get a propper diagonstic test done,to try,and find the problem.I forgot to mention that the mechanic did a psi check on the fuel pump with the old trottle body,and got a reading of 73 psi....when he changed the trottle body the psi reading was 41 psi..I'm not sure what's normal psi is supposed to be on a fuel pump for a 1993 Plymouth Acclaim.

Visiting Guest

04-29-03, 05:19 PM   #6  
Joe_F
It should be about 41 as I recall. Check autolibrary.org (the link I have below) for the fuel pressure specs.

Search this Thread