brakes

Old 04-30-03, 02:09 PM
dobes2
Visiting Guest
brakes

changed the brakes two days ago on my truck,put new rotors and pads,everything was ok but now when the brakes get hot there is a loud squeaking noise when applied do I need new calipers?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-03, 03:51 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Type of vehicle? Could be poor quality parts that were used.

Old 04-30-03, 04:42 PM
dobes2
Visiting Guest
99 chevrolet truck k1500 2door ex 4wheel drive z71
All Napa parts $43.48 for rotors,$ 89.50 for brake pads

Old 04-30-03, 04:58 PM
Did you clean the new rotors with brakeclean before installing?Did you burnish the lining in properly?25 to 30 moderate stops waiting 20-30 seconds between stops.If not that may be why they squeal, the new lining is glazed.

Old 04-30-03, 05:51 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree with Davo. Some of these models have had brake issues as I recall.

Not sure who is supplying NAPA's friction products. Might be Raybestos.

Old 04-30-03, 05:59 PM
dobes2
Visiting Guest
so do I take them off and clean the rotors and sand the brakes?

Old 04-30-03, 06:03 PM
dobes2
Visiting Guest
think it would be a waste to put new calipers on?

Old 04-30-03, 06:28 PM
I work for a Napa Car Care Center, and we've run into this problem a lot in the last couple of months. (Noise from pads after doing a brake job especially on GM products). We had a tech rep visit us last week, and seemed to "point the finger" at our procedures, but at the same time, other pads do just fine...
If your brake work properly, other than the noise, I'd reserve replacing calipers for last...
I agree with the other guys, look towards some sort of build up on the rotors.. As for cleaning the rotors, we've been hearing about using plain old soap and water, then rinsing with clear water.. No cleaners, rags, or paper towels..
I'd be very interested in finding out what you come up with!!

Old 05-01-03, 04:23 PM
Sanding the pads may help but if you didn't burnish the pads and they got overheated from (testing)the new brakes with hard stops,more than likely the noise will continue.If brake lining isn't burnished properly sqeauling,grinding and premature wear occur.This is because the binding agents in the lining are boiled to the surface and can't be sent back.Cleaning rotors with soapy water is ideal after machining to remove metal particles from the pores of the rotor surface.New rotors have preservatives which are best removed with a brake cleaning solvent,so that no oil residue is left behind.

Old 05-01-03, 06:08 PM
Just a point of interest, we had ANOTHER tech rep show up today, and told us NOT to use brake cleaner on the rotors (Napa United brand rotors) that the "coating" would and should be worn of by the braking action of the pads during the test drive after completion..
I started to ask why are they (Napa stores) selling us brake cleaner if it's not to be used on brake..But figured I'd let that 1 pass...

Old 05-01-03, 06:31 PM
dobes2
Visiting Guest
just a word of thanks to everyone on their input on my brake problem I think a try to sand the brake pads and clean the rotors Sat. and see what happens, again thanks

Old 05-01-03, 06:34 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I've never had to do that . I've installed good quality stuff, tested my work and good to go! If anything, I go easy on the brakes until they've "worn in".

Old 05-10-03, 10:57 AM
dobes2
Visiting Guest
brakes

Just to let everyone know that I went back to Napa,they replaced the brake pads at no cost to me, and I bought new calipers Napa said the pads were bad. They came out and looked at the truck, the clerk said it looks as if the left caliper was bad also because it had more brake dust than the right So went and replaced both. Everything seems to be find now

thanks guys ( also Napa)

Old 05-12-03, 05:15 AM
redneck
Visiting Guest
I replaced rotors and pads last summer on my '98 Z-71 and never had a problem (cleaned rotors with brake cleaner). Now if I could just figure out why my rear brakes lock up for the first few stops on cold mornings!? Been doing it since I bought it new--have'nt had to replace the shoes yet.

Old 05-12-03, 06:00 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Redneck:

Check for any TSB's at Alldata.com?

Old 05-12-03, 08:57 AM
redneck
Visiting Guest
Joe, yes, nothing.