1998 windstar brakes

Old 04-30-03, 03:46 PM
jswford
Visiting Guest
1998 windstar brakes

I have a 98 ford windstar with anti lock brakes. My anti lock brakes are activating on dry pavement with normal driving. This doesnt happen all of the time, and this just started, I have 103000 miles and changed the brakes at around 85000. I have checked the ohms on all four sensors and they appear to be ok. I have cleaned the rear sensors inside the drum and have not yet cleaned the front. Please give me some more ideas. I have found information on what to check if they dont work, but not if they work too good. I'm thinking a wheel is either locking up, or it's thinking it's locking up.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-03, 03:49 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Not something to fool around with. ABS takes someone with the knowledge, tools, and service information to fix it right.

I suggest professional service on this one.

Old 05-07-03, 05:17 AM
jswford
Visiting Guest
That's what I'm doing, looking for somebody with the right information. If I had the information I could fix it. I'm not "fooling around" with it. I thought this was do it yourself.com, thank you for your input.

Old 05-07-03, 05:35 AM
Group Moderator
Well, if you're determined to d-i-y it the first step would be to buy the factory repair manual from Ford.

Part of being a good d-i-y'er is knowing when to consult a professional. If you go to the "Garages" forum and ask fo advice on replacing the torsion springs on your garage door, you'll get a similar answer. Nobody is likely to give you tips on a job that is best left to a professional (in the case of torsion springs, because if you screw up it can kill you, literally).

My $.02 worth.

Old 05-07-03, 05:46 AM
jswford
Visiting Guest
Oh yeah, now I remembered why I stopped logging on to this forum. logging out

Old 05-07-03, 05:55 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
It sounds like you don't wish to repair the vehicle correctly. If you did, you'd buy the OEM manual. Or at minimum, you'd buy a $25 Alldata.com subscription.

Either will have the answer to your question, and give you something to go on.

You must help yourself first in order for us to help you. Part of that is getting all the good factory and reference information you can. I provide some free stuff in my signature file, but it doesn't replace the factory manual you should have when working on a vehicle.

FYI: I have the factory manual for EVERY car I own except my Saturn, and I'm working on that. But, before doing a repair, I ALWAYS consult the Alldata or factory manuals here at work!

I agree with TowGuy. This is a DIY forum. And part of DIY'ing is YOU helping YOURSELF

My .02. Get the factory manual and let us know what you find. This forum is as good as, if not better than many out there. There are seasoned professionals here.

If you don't appreciate the free information, bail and bring your vehicle to the dealer. The cost will make you wish you HAD gotten the fatory manual, trust me .

Old 05-07-03, 06:08 AM
Group Moderator
Interesting quote from one of jswford's previous posts in reply to another member's question:

"First off you should check the fluid. Then I would take it into a transmission shop".

Hmmmmm. Why not give the poster tips on opening up the tranny on their own?

Old 05-07-03, 06:09 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Lol. I suppose it can be done without the factory manual ?

I've said it a 100 times here. You wouldn't go to a doctor that had no medical books on his/her bookshelf. Nor would you go to a dentist that never read a dental journal.

So, why would you try to repair your car without the proper knowledge?

Same thing.

Old 05-07-03, 07:32 PM
Group Moderator
How's this for the ultimate in d-i-y masochism: Saw about a 24' Pace Arrow RV being tow-roped down the road the other day by a 3/4 ton utility bed pickup. They were headed toward the high-rise bridge that empties into the downtown area across the bridge.

Old 05-08-03, 06:49 AM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
this forum is loaded with all types of helpful information. Some repairs will require professional "hands on" help regardless. In some cases, all the pointers in the world will not help the diy'r. Correct information on a fix can be mis-understood if you are not sure of your problem to begin with. You need to be sure of the problem before attempting a fix. Else you are in a W.O.S. Lets see, how does that old saying go?? You can please some of the people some of the time but you cant please all the people all the time..

Old 05-08-03, 08:06 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Here's the drill: The information is free, take what you get for what it's worth.

Search this Thread