Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

GM 700R4 trans torque converter lock up

Visiting Guest

05-01-03, 06:16 AM   #1  
Mosey
GM 700R4 trans torque converter lock up

In what gears should a 700R4 transmission torque converter lock up? Is it 3rd and overdrive, or just overdrive? This is in a 1989 Chevy Suburban.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

05-01-03, 06:27 AM   #2  
Joe_F
To my recollection, only overdrive. What is the acutal problem/question?

Visiting Guest

05-01-03, 07:28 AM   #3  
Mosey
It's been "shuddering" (shaking) periodically. I doesn't do it at very low speeds, or at highway speeds. It does it around 45 MPH (give or take 5 MPH). It's been doing it for a long time (a year), but started out very subtle. Since it's a 1989 4X4 Suburban, it rides pretty stiff and every bump can be felt, so it took a while before I noticed it because I thought it was just bumps in the road (and where I live the roads are mostly bumpy). Then, it gradually got worse and was noticeable on smooth roads. I checked all wheel bearing play, driveshafts, and ball joints and they're all fine. Then, I realized it only did it when the trans was shifting, but can't tell for sure if it's when it shifts or when the converter locks up. It only lasts about 1 sec. This morning, I had the shift lever in 3rd and after it shifted into 3rd, I thought I felt another "shift", so was wondering if the converter was locking up in 3rd. The trans has been "bad" for a few years. I overheated it towing once and now I can't use overdrive for extended periods or it heats up and leaks oil, so I think the overdrive clutch is wiped out. I found out since that they (GM) don't recommend towing in overdrive.

Visiting Guest

05-01-03, 06:58 PM   #4  
Joe_F
It may have a stuck solenoid. My 84 Olds with the 2004R is doing it now too. It has a 1990 GM OEM replacement tranny done by an Oldsmobile dealer (my uncle owned the car then).

Has about 70k on that tranny. Waiting for my shop manual to get here to diagnose the problem.

Search this Thread